[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's files for April

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 4 18:34:38 PDT 2004

Greetings,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for April, detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

If you are the editor of an SCA newsletter and would like to get a copy
of this article several weeks in advance so you can meet your various
leadtimes, please get in touch with me. I also produce a version of
this article formatted for posting on SCA oriented websites and if you
would like that, again just contact me by email.

If you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms about the
Florilegium, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
   Stefan
----------------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past fourteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
Under ANIMALS:
    warhorse-size-art    "A Refutation of the Myth of the Giant
                            Medieval Warhorse" by Siobhan ni Seaghdha, OP
Under CRAFTS:
    mkng-a-p-lathe-art   "An Easily Made Primitive Lathe"
                            by Master Magnus Malleus.
Under CULTURES:
    Scandinavia-lnks     Web links to medieval Scandinavia
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
Under FOOD-BY-REGION:
    fd-Mer-Gaul-rv-art   A review by Raymond Van Dam of "Creating
                            Community with Food and Drink in Merovingian
Gaul".
Under PEOPLE AND PLACES:
    Charlemagne-lnks     Web links to information on Charlemagne
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
    Welser-family-bib    A bibliography on the German Welser family.
Under PERFORMANCE ARTS:
    masks-mumming-lnks   Web links to medieval masks, mumming and
                            Masques by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
under PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES:
    juniper-beries-msg   Period use of juniper berries.

And this month’s updated files include:
    peacocks-msg         Serving peacock sotelties safely.
    aphrodisiacs-msg     Medieval aphrodisiacs.
    baklava-msg          Period baklava-like layered pastries.
    cookbooks-bib        Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of Armida.
    East-Eur-msg         Eastern Europe. Poles, Czechs, Bohemia.
    eggplant-msg         Period eggplant (aubergine). Recipes.
    exotic-meats-msg     Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans, ostrich,
                            crawfish, dormice, cat.
    feasts-fish-msg      Serving fish at SCA feasts.
    fowls-a-birds-msg    Period fowls and birds. Period Chickens.
    fruit-quinces-msg    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
    sops-msg             Slices of bread soaked in a sauce.
    trenchers-msg        Wooden and bread trenchers. Plates.
    whole-pig-msg        Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
---
Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com