[Ansteorra-announce] Mendersham's Defender

Ld Byron chance at camalott.com
Tue Apr 13 20:00:02 PDT 2004

This year Mendersham Defender will be held at Hords Creek on May 14-16. This is an Army Corp. of Engineers Lake. The main gate will be locked at 10PM. Will have a pickup at gate until midnight to get late arrivials - tent, and person to site. Your vehicle will have to be parked outside of gate until the next morning at 6AM. We will be in group area 1. This is also the site for Gothic Wars. Will be on site at 3PM, Troll will open at 4PM, hopefully. Here are some sites if you wish to visit them for a look at the site. Hope to see you there.        Byron - autocrate
      230 Friendship Park Road Coleman, Texas 76834 (915)625-2322

First a terra view.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=278&y=2201&z=14&w=1
Army Corp. Page
http://swf67.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/hords/
Texas Parks and Wildlife
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/lakes/hords/lake_id.htm

I have tried 5 of the driving directioins sites and none can find Hords Creek, and yes, I tried the address on the engineers site. It is ~7 miles west of Coleman, Texas on 153. 153 going out Coleman goes up a large hill at the edge of town. No hill - you are on the wrong road. >From the west Winters, Texas. I have not driven to the site from this direction,sorry. There is a large sign on the south of 153 on the road to the main gate.

  Mendersham Defender - May 14 - 16
site: Hords Creek Lake - Group Area 1
Site is wet - period containers.
Main gate will be locked at 10PM!
Lord Yves de Byron is auto-crat.
Mka: Larry B. Pendleton 325-672-5840
Machine talk to it - say SCA.
chance at camalott.com - have Spam guard put
SCA in title so I might not miss the email.
Lady AmaRyah is co-auto-crat 325-235-0643.
estasrkey at starband.net
Activities will include:
Heavy List - Light List - A&S
Axe, Knife, and Spear
Bardic: Bards must check in at Troll.
Bardic will be a wandering Bardic. The winner
will be chosen by the popular vote. Beads
collected in a begging bowl - counted by the
bardic team before feast or evening court?
Feast will be prepared for 40. First paid eats.
Prepaid reservations excepted.
Lord Angus Matheson is feast-o-crat.
Mka: Mike Mathews 325-672-8364
ldangusm at cox.net
Feast will be:
Pasta e Fagiole -- Bread with butter
Catherine de Medici's Salad
Anti-Pasta
Grilled Vegetables marinated with olive oil & vinegar
Chicken Marsala served over Linguini or Fettuccini
Cheesecake

Coming from the north or east. Make your best way to Coleman, Tx., or Winters, Tx.  The turn in Coleman is roughly in the middle of town. When you turn west a large hill will be in front of you. If not you are on the wrong road. Hords Creek is west of Coleman, Texas on 153 roughly 7 to 8 miles, and site is east of Winters on 153. Turn south at the sign to main gate of site. At gate tell people you are with the SCA - will let you in to site until 10PM. Then the gate is locked. Will run a shuttle service to get you, and your tent to site till midnight. Vehicle will have to be left outside of gate until next morning.  From what I know there is no getting around this.

If coming from San Angelo area, or southwest, make best way to Ballinger, TX. Take 382 to Crews, Tx. Then take 153 to Coleman, Tx. Turn south at Lake sign before getting to Coleman, TX.

This is the new site for Gothic Wars. The site has flush toilets, showers, live oaks (which give better shad than mesquite). The group area will have 8? RV hookups. First come first serve, unless reservations are made with auto- crat, or co-auto-crat, Please share the electric, and water. The lake is 16 ft. below spillway, but the area was green when looked at by site selection team.