[Ansteorra-announce] [Announcements] Press Release

Moore, Linda Linda.Moore at mam.org
Mon Aug 30 09:45:38 PDT 2004

On August 23rd, 2004 Benjamin Schragger, of Weisenberg Township, PA, pled
guilty but mentally ill to eleven criminal counts involving minors,
including charges of child molestation.  Some of these charges involved
children he had met through the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

Schragger, known in the SCA, Inc., as Lord Ben the Steward, held the
positions of instructor and director of the Pages School, a part of the
Children's Activities in the East Kingdom Branch of the SCA, Inc, from 1999
through August of 2003.

The SCA, Inc. was shocked to learn of the allegations in the Fall of last
year, remains deeply saddened by these tragic events and wishes to convey
its sympathy to all those involved.

The SCA Inc will be taking all appropriate actions available under its
governing documents and will avail itself of all measures designed to
protect the SCA membership and participants for known endangering
influences.

The Directors of the SCA, Inc., have directed senior staff to ensure
policies regarding minor participation in society activities are in place.
The Vice President for Operations is currently in the process of reviewing
policies regarding minors and their involvement in sanctioned activities,
and we are committed to further strengthening and improving such policies
with the goal of protecting our youth to the fullest extent possible.

As an organization, we make every attempt to ensure the safety of our
children. Unfortunately, no set of policies, procedures or protocols can
ever protect us completely.  These steps underway at the highest levels of
our organization will need to be matched by a thorough and constant
vigilance by all members to protect all children, not only for ourselves,
but for our society.

The Directors remind the SCA Membership and participants that our Crown and
Royal families, while certainly involved in protecting their populaces, are
in NO WAY a substitute for modern authorities.  When a modern law has been
broken, or someone is in danger, the responsible action is to inform the
Seneschal, and contact modern authorities.

Thank You.
Linda Moore
Chairman, SCA Inc.
Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
SCA Inc.
Box 360789
Milpitas,  CA 95036

You may also email comments at sca.org or reply to this message.