[Ansteorra-announce] Ansteorra server upgrade and downtime...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Feb 23 20:29:54 PST 2004

Good Morning,

  This coming Sunday afternoon the Ansteorra server will be down in
  order to be transitioned to a new system. We will be migrating to
  faster hardware, a more modern OS and a new version of many services.
  This outage will be kept to an absolute minimum, but I expect it to
  take a couple of hours to work all the kinks out. There will be no
  loss of email nor data during the upgrade, just a lack of service.

  The outage will start at 2PM and continue until we are comfortable
  that all of the data is consistent and the services working. The
  outage for each service will be kept to the absolute minimum, but we
  don't want to make any commitments on availability. There will be a
  notice once the work is completed.

  For those who like details, the side by side comparison is as follows:

Old Server                        New Server
Intel Pentium III 550             AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
256M memory                       1G memory
20G single Harddrive              80G dual Harddrives with RAID
RedHat 7.2                        SuSE 9.0
Apache 1.3.27                     Apache 2.0.48
Horde 2.1/IMP 3.2                 SquirrelMail 1.4.1
MySQL 3.23                        MySQL 4.0.15
Mailman 2.1.2                     Mailman 2.1.4
SpamAssassin 2.60                 SpamAssassin 2.63
Sendmail 8.11.6                   Sendmail 8.12.0 w/ ClamAV 0.67 (Anti-Virus)

In Service,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "And we're always slipping thru the cracks
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   Then the movie's over -- fade to black