[Ansteorra-announce] [Ansteorra] Marshalate Changes

Patrickandjulia at aol.com Patrickandjulia at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 14:36:02 PDT 2004

Please excuse the multiple posts but it is important to get this information
out to the whole of the Kingdom as soon as possible.  This missive will also
appear in the October Black Star.  Please forward as necessary.

----------------------------

Greetings Ansteorra!

After carefully reviewing the current Marshalate Roster, it was quite evident
that we have a serious problem in the current authorizing system especially
Armored Combat.  Some of these problems include authorizing marshals in one
field (let’s say armored combat) authorizing participants in other fields such as
archery or siege engines.  We have had authorizing marshals who have, in
turn, “made” more authorizing marshals.  Those who have served as Regionals
and/or DEMS have been allowed to keep their authorizing marshal status after they
have stepped down from their respective positions.  These are all problems.
There is no easy way to institute controls.  So, changes are coming:

(1)  Unless you are a Regional Marshal, a DEM (a deputy directly under the
Earl Marshal), or a selected member of the Order of Chivalry, you are no longer
an authorizing marshal.  Do not continue to authorize participants as cards
you issue will not be valid.  (In the case of members of the Order of Chivalry
being authorizing marshals, I will be contacting you directly.)

(2)  All participant (fighter) cards will expire at the end of March 2005.
You will need to be re-authorized by a Regional, a DEM, or one of the selected
members of the Order of Chivalry.  I am hoping to have new cards available by
the first of November, 2004.  The system that will be put in place will
require authorizing marshals, DEMs, and select members of the Order of Chivalry to
submit a form for each combatant being authorized and a card will be issued by
the Marshalate Secretary.  The Marshalate Secretary will also be able to issue
cards at events where she will be present.  Her schedule and lists of
authorizing marshals will be posted on the Marshalate webpage.

(3)  Only HRM, the Earl Marshal and DEMs will be able to create (new)
authorizing marshals.

(4)  Regionals – your job has just become more travel intensive.  You will be
required to travel to events and fighter practices to do authorizations.  I
would suggest you make out your travel schedule beginning in November 2004, and
post it to the e-groups in your region.  In the case of performing
authorizations at events, set a time that you will be available for authorizations so
you won’t have to miss out on the day’s events.  If you are not able to travel,
please see me so we can work out a solution.

For the time being, these changes will only affect Armored Combat including
Archery and Siege Engines.  Youth Combat, Youth Boffer, and Youth Rapier will
not have to go through this process although new cards will be issued.  The
same may go for Rapier, Equestrian, and Thrown Weapons.

It is my goal to complete this task with as little disruption to our fighting
“fun” as possible.  There will be a flurry of activity for a couple of
months then things should smooth out.  By the time you read this missive, I will
have spoken personally with those who will be authorizing marshals.  Please
remember the old saying “No rules means Chaos.”  We don’t want Chaos.

Remember, drink fluids and be safe.  We are all here to have fun and to make
memories.  Let’s make them be good memories.   Remember…if you are not
practicing - mind and body - someone else will triumph!

Until next we meet,
Patrick Michael