[Ansteorra-announce] Sidesword Experiment Halted

j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu j_smallw at titan.sfasu.edu
Sun Jan 16 20:55:59 PST 2005

The Sidesword experiment that our kingdom has been participating in for the past
3+ years is now halted.  The SEM has called a halt to the Sidesword Experiment
Society wide.

This does not necessarily mean an end to Sidesword.  The experiment is currently
undergoing an re-evaluation period that will last somewhere between 90 and 180
days.

The Sidesword experiment was an experiment designed to try and allow feasible
research and study into historically documentable civilian combat within an SCA
context.  Many of the period manuals include the use of percussive cuts and the
Sidesword experiment did have a focus to develop armouring, weapon, and
authorization standards needed to accomplish this.

We have had a good core group participating in this experiment in Ansteorra.
Several demos have been held over the past few years within the kingdom.  The
response that we have seen seems to indicate that there is a significant amount
of interest in this sort of active research.

During the re-evaluation period, commentary has been requested from all the
kingdoms that have been involved in the experiment.

If you have any comments, either favorable and supportive of continuing this
sort of program, or even if you have concerns or issues, please take this time
to write and let your voice be heard.

Comments should be addressed to Baron Aedan Aylwyn, the Society Rapier Marshal
at : rapier at sca.org

and/or Sir Robert Glendon of Auk, the Society Earl Marshal at : marshal at sca.org

Thank you,

Don Ansgar von Aachen