[Ansteorra-announce] In Praise of Chirurgeons

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.org
Tue Mar 22 12:29:53 PST 2005

In honor of the chirurgeons at Gulf War who saved the life of my household
brother, Caerell MacDomnaill, when he suffered a heart attack in camp, and
the EMTs and hospital staff who took over after the initial treatment, I
humbly offer this sonnet, along with my heartfelt gratitude and
admiration.

Lord Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain
of House Mac an Ghabhann

In Praise of Chirurgeons

O healers, who devote yourselves to life,
Providing aid and comfort with a touch,
To calm the fears and still the swirling strife
That come from taxing bodies overmuch.
So surely now you bend down to your charge,
And lay a soothing hand on fever’d head,
The succor that your skill does so discharge
Allows repose and puts an end to dread.
Your hands surround the life within this shell,
Encouraging the spark to flame anew,
To keep me where the ones I love do dwell.
My praise, the merest fraction of your due.
A miracle, wrought by physician’s rod,
As surely as the gentle touch of God