[Ansteorra-announce] Service

Erik Langhans ELanghans at khou.com
Wed May 31 07:47:47 PDT 2006

I fell into an mental trap yesterday.  A pattern.  One that may have been in humor but one still unnecessary.

Often in the SCA when someone takes an office we play that down; we say sorry or condolences.  Only in jest and with pleasant humor.  Not denegrating the offer of service, but.....

It does lessen the valiant offer of service that individual did make when they applied for a particular job and then received it.

As a wise Peer told me once that by saying...
<"I'm sorry, but you have to do this volunteer office" is a not very good way to show support or to encourage people to take offices.>

How very true.  Officers have a hard job.  Their service and sacrifice makes our being able to play freely in the SCA possible.

Thank you all, past present and future officers, for your service.

Modius
(Outgoing) Kingdom Seneschal