[Ansteorra-announce] Bjornsborg's Fall Event 2007

clternus clternus at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 4 12:50:37 PDT 2007

First, the bad news.
The event will not be held at Whitewater Sports.  The site was sold to developers who have already started building.  By the time of our event, the area where we have held events for 20+ years will be a big road with big construction trucks on it.  We would like to encourage anyone will stories of Whitewater to share them with us.

Now the good news.
However, we do have a new site for the event.  It is on the south side of town, between San Antonio's 2 loops, on the Medina River.  We know there will be groans from the people up north having to drive further south.  Realistically, though, it takes the same amount of time to get to this site as Whitewater, because it's all highway driving.  The site is about a mile west of I-35 instead of driving 20-30 minutes west on a two lane curving road with stoplights.  The event will be held in a primitive area belonging to the campground, with a separate area for RV sites.  http://www.alamoriver.com/

Now the really good news.
In honor of the two emblems long held most dear to the Barony of Bjornsborg, the Bear and the Lion, we are hosting a grand tournament.  We know we're mixing languages; we like it that way ;-)

Ursae - Lyons
October 19-21, 2007

When Lion and Bear contend
whose sword at last shall bend?

Long have two noble spirits, the Lady of the Bear and the Lady of the Lion, held equal sway over the lands of Bjornsborg. But now, what before they held together, each would claim for herself.

"I am older in this land than thee," said the Lady of the Bear, "and should precede you in the hearts of our people."  "Older thou mayest be," said the Lady of the Lion, "but I deserve greater dignity for the nobility of my emblem."

Long the two debated, until the Lady of the Bear held up her hand.  "It is unseemly for us to contend like this, as merchants in a market place. Let each of us gather warriors and take our suit to the tournament field."

"Then each of us shall prove her case with virtue, skill and steel,"  agreed the Lady of the Lion. "And let the victor be given preeminence for a year and a day."

Thus they agreed, and went before the Nobles of Bjornsborg, who granted that the tourney should be held.

Their Excellencies of Bjornsborg invite you to come lend your sword to this debate and compete for glory and honor. They ask that each combatant be sponsored by an Artisan, who will give a small gift of his or her art to Their Excellencies as a token of their support. Their Excellencies are also sponsoring an Arts and Sciences Competition. The theme, in honor of the Lion and the Bear, will be the Bestiary.

There will be individual challenge matches, melees, as well as the Mace Crest Melee.

All who would test their martial skill should send letters of intent to Their Excellencies Bjornsborg at clternus at sbcglobal.net or to their postal address listed in the Black Star.

More information coming soon, via the event web site and the Black Star.

Event Steward:

Baroness Seraphina Maslowska

Adrienne Ferrell

13431 Vista del Prado