[Ansteorra-Announce2] Westgate Winter Collegium, Aug. 4

Jennifer Smith ladydaungerous at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 19:22:30 PDT 2007

Come one and all! The Canton of Westgate (Southwest Houston, Texas) is hosting Westgate Winter Collegium on August 4. The theme is Bards and Garb, and the event will feature bardic and costuming-related classes. In addition to an exciting array of classes, we also are holding our annual canton championship. It is a costume competition. To participate, sign up at the gate.
Other activities include the Great Fabric Swap! Bring fabric you will never use and trade it for other costumers' cloth.
There will also be a chance to trace out patterns from Mistress Rondinella's collection on butcher paper ($1 to cover butcher paper costs).
The evening will feature a bardic circle coordinated by HL Alden.
A sideboard lunch will be provided to all, including chicken salad, croissants, and fresh fruit.
The feast will be scrumptious: Herb-crusted pork loin, pesto chicken pasta, stuffed breads, Italian green beans, and cannoli for dessert. We are not taking reservations, so first come first served at the gate.

 The class list includes the following, and more classes will be added soon. A tentative schedule will be posted July 25.

Sources for Songs
Pronunciation Class
Beginners Voice
Intermediate Bardic Coaching
Bawdy Song Class
Bardic Etiquette
Introduction to Sonnet Writing
Courtier Poets
Bardic Circle Class
Story Construction & Presentation
Bardic Titles, Contests and Colleges in Medieval Wales
But I Don't Read Music

Herjolfsnes #38: A Hands-On 10-Gore Dress Workshop (4 hr): Students must sign up in advance for this limited-number workshop and check in by 11 AM to be guaranteed their  spot.  Bring 6 yards of washed linen, cotton or silk fabric and leave with a partially complete fitted garment that the student can easily finish on their own.
Jewelry in Period
What's That Made of?
Treasures of Hungary
Late 15th Century Florentine Woman's Dresses (2 hr)
Impressa
Eleanor of Toledo
Making a Pair of Bodies
Pilgrimage Clothing
Elizabethan and Cloth Buttons

History of Cheese
History of Knitting
Herald's Warranting Class
Seneschal's Warranting Class

The
site is Christ the King Evangelical Lutheran Church, 2353
Rice Blvd., Houston, TX 77005. Site opens at 8 a.m. and closes at 10
p.m. Site
fee is $9 for adults and $4 for children, which includes a sideboard
lunch.
Feast fee is $5.
For more information on the event and classes, please see our Web site at http://westgate.ansteorra.org/wwc/.

Maureen Faulkner, Westgate Winter Collegium Event Steward
ladydaungerous at yahoo.com

Got a little couch potato?