[Ansteorra-announce] Ursae-Lyons, Bjornsborg, October 19-21

clternus clternus at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 3 15:30:13 PDT 2007

 When Lion and Bear contend
whose sword at last shall bend?

Greetings Ansteorra,

Two emblems have long held sway over the lands of Bjornsborg.  Ursae - the Bears - for those who have shown greatness in the Barony, and Lyons - the Lions - for the many Lions of Ansteorra who come from or reside in Bjornsborg (we count 8 whole and 2 halves).  Which symbol should hold pride of place?  The decision shall be made with sword, ax and spear.

Godwyn and Radegund, Baron and Baroness of Bjornsborg invite you to be most welcome at

URSAE-LYONS

The tournament takes place October 19-21.  Letters of intent are required to be considered as one of the winners of the tournament.  Letters may be sent to clternus at sbcglobal.net or to the postal mail address of the Baron and Baroness, to be found in the back of the Black Star.  Largesse will be given for the letter that pleases us most, along with the first letter to arrive.

Also required is an artisan's token.  As the deadly arts go hand in hand with the gentler ones, we ask that each combatant be sponsored by an artisan.  The tokens are to be small works of art from your artisans: a glass bead, a chicken tartlet, a skein of spun wool, home grown rosemary, an annular broach.

Regarding the Arts, there will be a competition with the theme of Medieval Bestiary.  Come, artisans, and compete for largesse from the Lady of the Bear field (an antique wine basket filled with delectable treats), from the Lady of the Lion field ( a Pock game board) and from the Baron and Baroness (it's a surprise!).

There will be pumpkins available for carving.  The one most favored by the Baroness will receive largesse from her hands.

The fighting shall consist of individual challenges, group challenges, mace crest melee, bridge battles and more.  The winners of the Bear and Lion fields shall vie for primacy and the winners of those battles will face all-comers.  For rules regarding crests, go to the event web site, under combat schedule.

As a reminder, this tournament is a judged tournament.  Your persona, comportment, fighting ability and heart will be judged.  Those worthy will be chosen to represent the Bear and Lion fields.

At Their Royal Majesties' pleasure, there will be a Pelican Circle, probably after the fighting is done in the afternoon.

For more information, go to the October Black Star ad or to http://www.bjornsborg.org/ursaelyons.html

The site is a new site to Bjornsborg, so we ask that everyone be patient if new situations arise.  There are 1 or 2 motels nearby, but we do not vouch for their prices or conditions.

The site is the Alamo River RV Resort, www.alamoriver.com, located at 12430 Trawalter Lane, Von Ormy, TX 78073.
>From San Antonio take I-35 S toward Laredo.
Take EXIT 141 toward VON ORMY /BENTON CITY RD
Go approx. 0.1 miles then turn slight LEFT onto I-35 S.
Go about 0.4 miles then turn RIGHT onto N. BENTON CITY RD.
Drive 0.1 miles, cross railroad tracks, BENTON CITY RD becomes (slight left) QUINTANA RD.
Go about 0.3 miles
Then turn RIGHT onto TRAWALTER LANE.
The site will be on your right in about a mile. Watch for SCA signs, if you pass the driving range, you passed the site. RV reservations are available by contacting the site at 1-800-RVRANCH for an additional fee; please ask about fees and mention you are with the SCA.

Fees:
Site: Adult, $9
Ages 6-17, $8
Ages 0-5, free
Family Max, $27
Non-member surcharge, $3
Feast, $7
For the menu, please see the website.

We encourage all who would attend and would like feast, to visit the Ursae-Lyons page with the ACCEPS program.  http://acceps.ansteorra.org/regit/kingdom_event_display.php?kid=1

Pets are allowed but must be on leash.  In order to continue allowing pets, the event staff thanks all pet owners for being responsible about their pets.

For additional questions or information not covered by this message, the Black Star ad or the website, please contact the Baron and Baroness at clternus at sbcglobal.net or the Event Steward, Baroness Seraphina Maslowska at aferrell at greatambience.com

We look forward to welcoming you to the lands we hold for the Crown,
Radegund and Godwyn
Baroness and Baron of Bjornsborg