[Ansteorra-announce] Glaslyn Artisan of the Flame 2015

Colleen/Keally via Ansteorra-announce2 ansteorra-announce2 at lists.ansteorra.org
Wed Aug 19 11:22:18 PDT 2015

Glaslyn's Artisan of the Flame
Saturday, August 29, 2015
Texas Woman’s University Student Union Building
304 Administration Dr
Denton, TX 76204
(For Directions See Below)

Good Gentles!
We invite you all to join the Canton of Glaslyn on Saturday,
August 29,2015 as we choose our artisan champions for the
next year. We will be naming our Artisan of the Flame and our men
folk will be choosing a Keeper of the Flame for the Arts. Body of
work with 3 to 5 entries, documentation required.
There will be a novice competition for skills that a gentle has
learned in the last year. No documentation required for the novice
competition.

The site opens at 10:00 am and closes at 8:00 pm
Site fees will be $5.00 (Gentles over 13) Free (12 and under) A surcharge of $5 will be added for adult non-members.
Checks to be made out to SCA, Inc./Canton of Glaslyn. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. They may also attend with a 21 year or older adult with a signed and notarized Minor Event Waiver Form from the parents or legal guardian.
Pets not allowed.

If you are interested in teaching a class please contact Lady Colleen O’Kelly at ldycolleenokelly at yahoo.com

Evening feast is pot-luck. Please contact Master Airaklee at wolf7777777 at hotmail.com with your contributions, so that we will know if we will be eating in or making reservations elsewhere.

If you have any questions or have special needs, feel free to contact the Autocrats.

Autocrats:
Lady Colleen O'Kelly
mka: Keally Howell
Email: ldycolleenokelly at yahoo.com
Phone: 940-765-8028

Master Airaklee Wolf
mka: Doug Turnage
Email: wolf7777777 at hotmail.com
Phone: 940-205-9659

                  Directions to Site:
>From Dallas:
Make your best way to I-35E North. Follow I-35E N Denton. Take exit 464 US-77N/Dallas Dr. Follow US-77N/Dallas Dr. Use the right 2 lanes to turn slightly right onto S Bell Ave. Keep left to continue on N Bell Ave. Turn left onto Administration Dr. Site is on your left and parking on your right.

>From Fort Worth:
Make your best way to I-35W North. Follow I-35W N Denton. Take exit 84  S Bonnie Brae St. Turn left onto S Bonnie Brae St. Turn right onto W Hickory St. and left onto N Carroll Blvd. Turn right onto W University Dr. Turn right onto N Bell Ave. Turn Right onto Administration Dr. Site is on your left and parking on your right.

>From OKC:
Make your best way to I-35 South. Follow I-35S to Denton. Take exit 471 toward Denton/Krum/US-77/Farm to Market Rd 1173/TX-288 Loop. Continue onto US-77 S/I-35 Frontage Rd. Turn left onto US-77 S. Turn left onto W University Dr. Turn right onto N Bell Ave. Turn right onto Administration Dr. Site is on your left and parking on your right.

Classes:
Adria Lorelle - how to make a period style shade pavilion and cooler covers out of painters canvas. Hand outs will be available. An example, with the exception of the poles the pavilion will fit in 2 canvas tote bags

Jonathan Clare - Calligraphy -  A heavy fighter’s view of calligraphy as a martial art starting with basic warm up exercises then teaching a hand in your time period. This will be based on Marc Drogin’s Medieval Calligraphy, Its History and Technique plus some of my own research on italics for you later period types. Bring what calligraphy supplies you may have but they will not be required. I will provide paper and felt pens to get started. Class size limit 30

Kenichi Musashi (Grasshopper) - Modular Origami - Using multiple pieces of paper we shall create beautiful works of art.

Daire – Introduction to shoe making – How to make period looking shoes for our modern SCA game.
Æsileif Geirfinnsdottir – Cheese making - Come join me in learning how to make simple farmer cheese. We will make it and eat it in class. Please bring a drink to class, crackers make you thirsty.

Aoife Ruadh - Writing in Runes The Basics of Elder Futhark - Runic alphabets were used as early as the 2nd centuries and some forms remained in use until the 13th Century.  The basic symbols were angular and easy to carve into items, but the designs also carried significant meanings related to daily life and religious beliefs.  This class will take students through two types of runic alphabets, Elder Futhark (Germanic) and the later Younger Futhark (Scandinavian), including the meanings and a basic tutorial in how to translate our language into rune script for fun and meaningful decoration for clothing and personal items.

Micola – Silk Fan Making – Learn the basics of silk painting. We will be using modern materials to paint a silk fan. You may bring a design. Supply fee is $5. Limit 9. Observers welcome.
Isabelle – Intro to Historical Music in the SCA – Have you enjoyed the live music you sometimes hear at events? Do you wish there was live music at an event, but it wasn’t there? Have you ever wanted to join the musicians, or possibly start up your own group, but you’re intimidated by the strange instruments and unfamiliar tunes? Are you a bard, and you’ve been wanting more information for period correct pieces? This class is a discussion group with a focus on encouraging people to give historical music a try. We will help you find resources for historical music as well as how to get period (or “period-ish”) instrument without having to take out a second mortgage. My personal focus is instrumental consort music, but if you are a soloist or a vocalist, you are certainly welcome to join. Since this is just a discussion, prior musical knowledge is not required (but would be helpful). Newcomers to veterans of early music are all welcome.

Domingo – What was worn under there? - This will be a brief look at undergarments from the 14th to 16th Centuries. Whether you prefer briefs, boxers, or the precursor to the g-string, we will discuss them. There will be illustrations from historical sources and modern interpretation of the patterns.

Katya – basket weaving – No underwater basket weaving here! We will make an 8” melon basket perfect for caring those little things that you need at an event. Colors will be available for you to choose from to make the basket your own. We will discuss some history and materials while we work. You will be dealing with water and dyed materials, please dress appropriately. (limit 6, age 12+) Fee $5

Lady Colleen O'Kelly
Kingdom Siege Marshal