europe

Michael A. Chance mchance at crl.com
Fri Apr 7 14:26:15 PDT 1995

Michael writes:

> the word "Europe" does not exist in the the copora or the bylaws.

True.  And, as someone else mentioned, the phrase "Western culture" is
deliberately vague.  Personally, I'd like to see this tightened up
somewhat, though not quite as far as Tadhg's preferred "west of the
Rhine, north of the Loire, south of the Trent".

My preference is "the cultures of the European continent and
immediately adjacent areas".  This would include Asia Minor, the
Middle East and North Africa, but would exclude the Americas,
sub-Saharan Africa, and the Far East.

I'd also like to see an official early cut-off, at either 450 or 500 AD.

> as a matter of fact the only place i can find it in an official SCA
> publication is in something called "The Scope of the SCA, INC." and it is
> far from clear what that is other than perhaps a FAQ.

It's a "position paper" written by Mistress Hillary of Serendip,
during her last tenure as Steward of the Society (which was replaced a
couple of years ago by the positions of Executive Director and Society
Seneschal).  My impression is that it carries slightly less official
weight than a Governing and Policy Decision of the Board, being
similar to a Corpora/By-Laws interpretation ruling from the Society
Seneschal.  Thus, it is _the_ official word on the scope of the SCA,
until such time as the Board or the current Society Seneschal chooses
to supercede it.

Mikjal Annarbjorn
--
Michael A. Chance          St. Louis, Missouri, USA    "At play in the fields
Work: mc307a at sw1stc.sbc.com                             of St. Vidicon"
Play: mchance at crl.com