Heraldry

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Mon Apr 10 10:31:04 PDT 1995

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Leslie Miller wrote:

> > Kewl!  Did you learn enough Old Norse to help with checking Norse name
> > submissions?  The CoH really only has one good reference publication on Norse
> > names and someone with a knowledge of the language could really help us in the
> > cases that fall outside te scope of that publication.
>
> I disliked California intensely and fled before I had a chance to get
> into many classes which really interested me. (I had to go through the
> modern stuff before getting into Norse, and it was almost more than I
> could endure.  Doom and gloom, doom and gloom. In what creative ways
> can we torture our characters today?)
>
> Are you needing somebody who can do name translations, or somebody
> who knows where to look for existing Norse names?   I'd probably be
> more help at the latte, but would be willing to attempt the former,
> with the understanding that my limited amount of knowledge may be worse
> than useless.  I really don't have much of an idea as to what is
> actually involved in the heraldic process, but I could (should) learn.
>
> Gunhilda
> Shire of Mooneschadowe
> miller at pp.okstate.edu

I want to take a trip to France someday and collect lists of names from
the military rolls from our period(s) fro use in the SCA.  I think a list
of primary source documented names would be a big help to those wanting
to create a French persona.

Anyway, my point is you could do the same for Norse names. A list and
short guide to Norse naming practices would be very useful to those
searching for such a name.

Most of the information on non-English names is in large difficult to
find, use or understand tomes.  The problem is that the newcommer - the
very person who will need a name - will not know such a thing exists, may
not have the skills to use it (esp. if it is in another language) and
will probably be intimidated by the many unknowns of the task they are
attempting.  So they guess at a name and are soon stuck with some
inapproprate junk name that WON'T GO AWAY.

If we could provide pamphlets with lists of names and explanations of the
major points of the naming practices of a particular area and time period
it would be much easier for the newcomer to pick an authentic, approprate
name AND learn a little about his adopted period. I am very much in favor
of more authenticity in the SCA and I feel one of the most effective ways
to achieve it is to make it easier for newcomers to be authentic.

On a new subject, what do you think of allowing names to conflict within
the SCA? I am sure there was more than on John Smith in period. Any comments?

Savian