Rapier trends...

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Thu Apr 27 15:09:02 PDT 1995

So the rules say. In short, no authorization, no fighting. Now if you are
asking if we actually ENFORCE this or if it SHOULD be this way, those are
different questions.

Enforcement of this policy tends to bend a bit in a variety of
circumstances. For example:

 - Authorizing marshals will often authorize those they know and fight
with regularly without requiring a seperate "authorizing bout". Is this a
bad thing? It seems the authorizing marshal should know if those he/she
fights with regularly are safe or not.

 - I have been told most knights get signed off without difficulty. I
don't know if that is true, but I have heard it from supposed eye
witnesses. Perhaps the authorizing marshal(s) fight with those knights
regularly.

 - I have seen Dons get signed off and I have seen them have to do the
whole bit. Kinda depends on the marshal.

 - I notice we don't require authorizations for fighter practice.  if we
did we could never assimilate new people, esp. in areas where there are
no "backyard" practices. I am not sure what the rules say about this.

I have heard some interesting arguments about this. For example, there is
the "Ever Changing Rules" argument.  Basically, it goes, "Dons and
Knights may have known the rules at one time, but we must test them to
make sure they know the latest stuff." In reality what I do on the field
has not changed materially in the 10 years I have been fighting. In fact,
you recently came back to fighting after a long absence. Have you noticed
much change?

Now the rules certianly have changed. They have grown from a few pages to
a book of about 60 pages. But most of this has been details and minusha,
and to rewrite the rules so only a lawyer can understand them. I think we
need to do back to a few pages. When there are more rules than a fighter
can remember while on the field the ones he can't remember are useless.
And any rule a fighter can't understand is similarly useless. Consider
the new fighter -- the one who needs the rules the most -- trying to
remember dozens of pages of psudo-legal mumbo jumbo whild some one is
trying to bash his brains out with a stick or stuff a rapier in his
gullet. What are the odds?

In any case, if one is checking to see if a Don/Knight knows the CURRENT
stuff you should be concentrating on the new stuff. I have seen a bunch
of authorizations and I have never seen this done (well, maybe once).

Overall I don't think authorizations have made a hill of beans worth of
difference in this kingdom anyway. Mostly they seem to be pretend
authorizations anyway.  How often do you see someone required to fight
with a dagger, a cloak and a case of rapiers before they pass
authorization? We just pretend that if they can be safe for 2.5 minutes
with a single rapier in a bout where they have nothing to gain by winning
that they are safe with all weapons in all situations. Unless we get an
authorization process that shows more than whether they guy knows not to
put his helm on backwards it never will make a difference.

I guess it does keep the paperwork police happy though.

Savian (in a bad mood -- can you tell?)