Period Heraldric Styles...

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Aug 17 13:29:37 PDT 1995

Catherine quotes Savian saying:
>"fly what you want, but don't call it heraldry [unless it conforms to
>the heraldic rules]."  The rules of heraldry do not apply only to
>devices prior to 1600, they apply even today.

To twist the subject slightly:

     I have a cross-stitch embrodiery book that has human figures
standing upright with one hand on top of a shield which is standing on
its point next to them. The figures are both male & female and are
dressed in Viking, Cotehardies, Houppelands, Italian Ren., and Tudor.
There are blank shield shapes in which you are supposed to insert
somebody's device or arms.

Now, I look at this as artsy presentation of a device, but sure enough,
when the local herald saw what I was working on, she said something
about "supporters" and "the heralds won't like it". It's not like
there's mantling, a helm, a motto or real supporters anywhere on these
patterns (not that it wouldn't be easy enough for someone to *add* these
elements). Therefore, from my POV, it isn't heraldry. IMHO, it would be
a pretty way for someone who will never earn the right to all the fancy
stuff, to display their arms or device.

What's the opinion of those heraldically inclined on this?

Estrill
Who in addition to being a dancemonger, wields a mean cross-stitch
needle