Ideal event

I. Marc Carlson IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu
Mon Jul 10 14:03:53 PDT 1995

<n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu (Nancy Bradford-Reid)>
>>Farspeaker list/Domesdaylist/whatever you call it.
>>        In period, it was often a common thing to keep lists of the populace
>>        in a village/ward/town etc, in order to determine who was elegable to
>>        vote where, who hadn't served in offices, who lived where.
>*****And, I believe, Domesday Boke was the proper term for it.*******

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that the "Domesday Boke" was
a specific compilation, published once (in 1089 or something) and had
more in common with the national census than it did with the telephone
directory.

>*****Even "toll booth"  is better than "troll booth."
>So I guess I'm in agreement with you, Diarmuit.

At least as far as that goes, ma'am :).

The question is, why do we call them by these silly jargon terms?  In some
cases, it's because they are "cute", and then the cute term becomes the
Jargon.  For example, "Dragons and Trolls" are clearly in this category.
Unfortunately, the term "Scanda-who-vian" (for the people from the
cultural group around Scandanavia and thier colonies) appears to becoming
a standard Sca-speak term, and as someone who has traditionally ignored his
mundane Swedish ancestry, I'm beginning to find it's getting pretty old.

It may well be that "Autocrat" is the best of a bad lot, as terms go
(though I am not sure yet), but I would really prefer people (including me)
think more about the other possibilities before just swallowing a "second-
best" modernism, or fantasy thing as a "tradition".

"Mihi Satis Apparet Propter     Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn
  Se Ipsum Appetenda Sapientia"	University of Northkeep
 -- St. Dunstan			Northkeepshire, Ansteorra
				(I. Marc Carlson/IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu)