Kumiss

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Fri Jul 7 13:36:44 PDT 1995

<snip>

>This prevents the kumiss from turning to yoghurt. The spout can also be
>opened periodically to burp it and release the pressure (or you end up
>with kumiss mines exploding in camp).

This is the recipe that I tried.  This was written by someone living up
North, where is is much cooler.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. Although, I didn't think Mongolia
was very cool. Or is it a cool dry area, rather than hot and dry?
<<<<

One of the many things about making kumis is keeping it at a reasonable
temp.  Another is shaking it often.  Mongols would tie their kumis bags to
the saddles, so that it would shake as they rode.  If the were camping in
one place, thay would tie the bag to the kana, just by the door into the
ger.  It was traditional that one would shake the bag one one entered a ger.

This was mentioned in one message. I didn't want to post ALL of the file
to this list.
<<<<

One of my Anda suggested that, if using Todric's receipe, place the bag on
your washing machine, in the cellar.  This would shake the bag wen you did
wash, as well as keep it at a good temp.

What kind of bag? If it bursts, it could get pretty bad.
<<<<

>PS: Mordraut hasn's said he'll drink it yet. Any other takers?

Yup, I'll drink it.  I am a hearty Mongol.

OK, I'll start on it. I think I'll try the cow's milk first, though.
Rather than take a chance on the more difficult to obtain mare's
milk.

Catherine, is there a particular time of year or other such window
when the mare's milk is available or not?

Stefan li Rous
<<<<

|   Mordraut Freyulf  |         To try is to succeed           | Dark Horde |