BlackStar Changes

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Thu Nov 2 18:31:11 PST 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of James Crouchet  to All]

 JC> I agree that there are many cost cutting measures that could be used
 JC> to  reduce costs for the SCA, but I really feel cutting services in
 JC> the  BlackStar is NOT the way to go.

Savian, when one cannot make ends meet, one must *first* tighten one's belt
until it hurts *before* one resorts to begging (or extortion).  The Board
seems to not know this.

My comments were intended to point out that *some* Kingdoms could afford to
spend less on their newsletters, so that the SCA, Inc. could cut its expenses,
without cutting the services the newsletter is intended to supply.

 JC> Eliminate maps...I don't think so. Some people are map people (like
 JC> me)  some are written directions people (like Clare). I do better
 JC> with a bad  map than a good set of directions -- I just don't think
 JC> that way.

Then buy a state highway map.  Compare the directions against that and draw
your own map to the site.  It'll likely be better than most of the maps we
have now.

 JC> There are many things we could do to improve the ads in
 JC> the BlackStar --  some more likely to actually happen than others --
 JC> but that, I think, is  the point. We should be trying to IMPROVE the
 JC> BlackStar, not just chop  it's budget.

If the SCA, Inc. were swimming in money, I'd agree.  It's not and the Black
Star, for one, *could* get by on less.

 JC> But to get even less  than we get now? No thanks.

Depends on how one defines "less."  I do not considered the changes I
suggested to be less, but more.

 JC> Also, I remember not too many years ago when the BlackStar had to have
 JC> auctions and fund raisers, and generally go begging for money. We
 JC> still  ended up paying for it but the chronicler ended up spending a
 JC> fair chunk  of time fund raising, rather than editing. Let's not go
 JC> back to that.

 JC> The kind of changes I would like to see include larger print (for my
 JC> aging eyes),

Invest in some reading glasses or a magnifying glass.  A clean, well formed 8
point font should be easily read by anyone with average eyesight (average
eyesight being pretty abysmal in this day and age).  The 12 point we get now
is a gross waste of space.

 JC> better maps

How?  Map making, like map reading, is a skill it seems very few possess.

 JC> a full one year (or more!) calendar

would be worth little, as most of the events beyond 6 months are those fixed
in Kingdom law anyway.

 JC> and a standardized look to event announcements so we
 JC> can quickly and easily get the information we need from them.

This I'd go for.  Done properly, it would even leave room for maps <G>.

 JC> I also like the full page format that Popular Chivalry uses

The current format is *much* better than it was a couple of years ago.  Then
the event announcements were formatted like those in Black Star and reduced to
fit two per page.  You had to turn the PC sideways to read 'em.  And since the
designers of the announcements tended not to take into account the size
reduction, they were often hard to read.

However, the announcements are still only 1/2 a page.

 JC> Not exactly cost saving items, but items that would make the
 JC> newsletter  better serve the purpose for which I buy it. That is the
 JC> point, isn't it?

Not in this case. My point was to offer ways to save the SCA, Inc. (and,
ultimately, you and me) money while still enabling the newsletters to perform
their required function.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel (soon to be moving...)
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable