Alternatives to NMS

eric brown caladin at io.com
Thu Oct 26 21:54:45 PDT 1995

>((I don't like this idea.  We already get so many bad and tiny, unreadable
>maps now, that making groups pay for anything over 1/2 page--maybe over 1
>page--will decrease the legibility and quality of the event announcements
>even more.  While we're on the subject:  a note to all you event mapmakers
>out there.  Please realize that in a kingdom like Ansteorra, which has a
>large geographical area, there will be people coming from far away who are
>not familiar with your particular region.  I see maps in the *BS* all the
>time which are drawn from the perspective of someone coming from less than
>30-50 miles away, with no references to major highways, like I-10 or I-35,

I agree with nan,

I'd also like to put in my two Groats worth of ideas about maps for even
anouncements...

1. Mark north.... I've wondered a time or two.
2. Give exit numbers off of major highways, and show the major highways
        this is one of the most incrediblely simple and helpful things you
can         put on a map, This way I don't have to squint at every exit sign
for         200 miles   which leads me into my last hint/request
3. Put mileages on your map giving as exact a mileage as possible from
eachturn         off the highway to the next turn, and so on. We all have
odometers         in our cars and most ofthem work!This is cool for the same
         reason as #2 I went to an event not to long ago where all it said
was          "go west from IH-?? on ### out of Qville till XXX Road, go
right...            From IH-?? to ### was seventy miles or so, have you ever
tried to read         every road sighn for 70 miles... you get a little
upset....

Thanx

Caladin
  Caladin Ironhearth,            |  Eric W. Brown
  Bryn Gwlad,                    |  3229 Parkhills Dr.
  Scotland, 1595                 |  Austin, Tx, 78746