[TY] Hare Krishna.7610 (fwd)

MATTHEW RYAN POPALISKY mrp at engr.uark.edu
Fri Aug 23 06:47:06 PDT 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 01:25:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: "David L. Backlin" <dbackli at comp.uark.edu>
To: vlock at comp.uark.edu, whmk75a at prodigy.com, batt at iofc.com,
    mrp at engr.engr.uark.edu
Subject: [TY] Hare Krishna.7610 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:12:00 -0500
From: Penny Rubow <prubow at spd.state.ar.us>
To: meridies at web.ce.utk.edu
Subject: [TY] Hare Krishna.7610

Hi everybody--

We just got word of this virus this morning. Unlike the "good times" virus
this is apparently for real.

>VIRUS ALERT - HARE.KRISHNA.7610 VIRUS
>A new and lethal virus has been detected in The United States, The
Netherlands, Russia, Canada, Switzerland, South Africa,
>and England. The earliest confirmed sighting was in New Zealand early in
July. It appears to have roots in Eastern Europe.

>On the 22nd of August and September it will overwrite all data on the hosts
hard drive.

>HARE.7610 is particularly nasty virus. It has all the whistles and bells.
It is a multipartite virus. That is to say that it infects boot
>sectors, executable, and COM Files. It therefore has the potential for very
rapid distribution. It is for this reason that we advise
>vigilance. HARE.7610 also runs stealth. It is a polymorphic virus and will
encrypt MBR (Partition Table) Data.

There is a software company that is providing a free virus removal tool.

You can down load the software at:  http://www.eliashim.com/files2.html#VSHARE

Tipperith

Penny