Mead Brewing?

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Dec 3 10:12:52 PST 1996

> Can anyone tell me how to stop the fermentation process when the mead
> reaches the desired alcohol/sweetness point? I relise that keeping it
> in the refrigerator will do the trick but it only holds so much.
> Someone suggested heating the bottles of mead but I don't know what
> temperature is sufficient and how long to keep the bottles at that
> temperature.

Good Morning,

  There are lots of ways of doing this, some work, some don't very
  well.

  Refridgeration only makes the yeast go dorment. They will start up
  again if they can get above a certain temperature. Matter of fact, some
  yeasts want to ferment at colder temps. They take much longer though.
  I believe in once refridgerated, always refridgerated.

  Adding a stabalizing agent. I've not had much luck this way. Some info
  from the wine.faq is:

    Sorbate:  Potassium sorbate.  A substance that is noxious to yeasts
    and as such is used as a stabilizer.  It should be noted that sorbate's
    effectiveness depends on low yeast counts in the wine; if it's high, it
    will be inneffective.  Clear your wine properly, and ferment out to sg
    1.000 or less.

    Sulphite (or sulphate):  Referring to sodium metabisulphite or potassium
    metabisulphite.  A substance that is noxious to many spoilage
    microorganisms and wild yeasts and as such is used as a microbiological
    and oxidative inhibitor and stabilizer.  It should be noted that
    sulphite's effectiveness depends on low organism counts in the wine; if
    it's high, it will be inneffective.  Clear your wine properly and
    ferment out to sg 1.000 or less.

  Pasteurization is done by steeping in a water bath at 60 C (140 F),
  and hold this temperature for 20 mins. Cool to 18 C (74 F). I've never
  tried this. I've heard lots of people have bottles explode doing this.

  I believe in either using a yeast that will stop at the desired
  sweetness, usually ale yeasts work well and the one I use stops at
  about 10% alcohol, or starting with a higher opening SG. Champagne
  and wine yeasts go from 8 to 18% depending on the strain. Letting
  fermentation go to it's full extent will also leave a clearer wine in
  the end. (Less dregs at the bottom.)

  Btw, although clearing agents help some, a single yeast cell can start
  it all off again.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something