Middle Eastern info for Known World Dance Symposium

BILLQS at aol.com BILLQS at aol.com
Tue Dec 3 17:01:18 PST 1996

Here's the information for the Middle Eastern activities at the upcoming
Known World Dance Symposium.  Be sure to visit the Middle Eastern Known World
Dance Symposium Web page.

 The address is members.aol.com/swallis614/kwpage.html

 IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE MERCIFUL, THE COMPASSIONATE,
 I SEND WORD TO THE KNOWN WORLD OF A
 KNOWN WORLD MIDDLE EASTERN DANCE & MUSIC SYMPOSIUM

 SPONSORED BY THE MERIDIES KINGDOM DANCE GUILD
 JANUARY 30-FEBRUARY 2, 1997
 HOSTED BY THE BARONY OF AXEMOOR
 AT THE REGINA COELI RETREAT CENTER IN COVINGTON LA

 Reservations for the site should be made with Cristina de Asturias
(Christine Pacheco), 800 Martin Behrman Ave. Apt. 103, Metarie LA 70005,
504/833-6661.

 Cost - Staying on Site weekend - $27 before Jan. 15th, $29 at door.
 Day trip - $15 before Jan. 15, $17 at door.
 Prices include feast Saturday night and two breakfasts. Deduct $5 for
off-board. If staying at site Thursday night add $10. Make checks payable to
- SCA Inc./Barony of Axemoor.

CONTACT PEOPLE

Collegium scheduling and instructor info (European dance)- THL William
Redcape of Iron Mountain (Bill Street Jr.), 908 Reedwood Lane, Birmingham AL
35235, 205/836-4013, email at: billqs at aol.com.
 Site information - HE Shaul ben Yisrael Poznan, Baron of Axemoor (Steve
Faber), 504/882-9369.
 European Musician Coordinator - HL Avatar of Catspray. 16505 Tiffany Ct.,
#16, Houston TX 77058, email at: avatarcat at aol.com.

 MIDDLE EASTERN DANCE - MISTRESS EDWINA DIRKS STERNE (Sue Wallis) 1584 Blake
Bottom Road, Huntsville, AL 35806, 205/890-0940, email at:
swallis614 at aol.com.

 MIDDLE EASTERN BACKUP - DUCHESS ILISSA THE NIGHTWATCHER, 601/838-4508, email
messages at: thlsepi at aol.com. AND LADY BLODWEN FERCH MAERGRED, (Hollie
Williams), 1503 Melody Ridge Crt., Conyers GA 30207, 770/388-7423.

 MIDDLE EASTERN DRUM & MUSIC - SIR BRYCE MACLAREN, 706/543-5098

 Middle Eastern classes will be held Friday and Saturday in 3 rooms, 2 for
classes and one for lectures and displaying books and videos of appropriate
subject. Axemoor will supply around the clock (during class time) watch in
this room, and any books and videos present should have the owner's name and
address on them. So far I have these definite dance classes - Duchess Ilissa
will teach 1 hour of Ghawazee and 1 hour of Thob dance and Mistress Alethea
will teach 1 hour of Advance techniques and 1 hour of abdominals to
accentuate movements, Tshaya will teach a 9/8 class and Arabic basic
footwork, and Lady Blodwen will teach a costume discussion class.  Classes we
are planning - Beginner & intermediate dance, Accents and Presentations,
specific ethnic styles at any level (I'm most interested in Arabic myself),
Troupe Work within the SCA, perhaps classes on specific rhythms, their names
and how to dance/play them, and a mixed class on drum, musician and dancer
etiquette. Teachers may have more than an hour to teach.

 Friday night Duchess Ilissa will host a Middle Eastern Welcoming Revel. We
are working on having Middle Eastern food available for a small charge Friday
night. Saturday night will be a Night in the Court of Saladin, Defender of
the Faith. The Saturday night feast will be a buffet provided to both revels
and will include some Middle Eastern dishes. Both revels are open to European
visitors. Dancers and musicians are welcomed. We could use all the
decorations (no attaching to walls), rugs and pillows we can find. The most
recent former queen of Meridies requests exhibition performances from across
the Known World and this is of course the whole motive behind this event - to
see and learn as much as possible about a variety of Middle Eastern dance,
music and assorted related areas. We are working on having a schedule
available as we get instructors lined up. Please ask and it will be provided.

 Anyone wishing to teach dance may contact Mistress Edwina at
swallis614 at aol.com.

 Anyone wishing to share costuming, dance, history, etc. in our library may
contact Mistress Edwina.

 Anyone wishing to perform an exhibition dance during either revel
(especially to perform at the European revel) may contact Mistress Edwina.

 Anyone wishing to play drum or other instruments for the Middle Eastern
dancers may contact Sir Bryce Maclaren at 706/543-5098.

 We hope to have continuing beginner/intermediate dance classes throughout
the two days.  Anyone wishing to teach an hour or so may contact Mistress
Edwina.

 We would really like to know if many people are going to be at the classes
on Friday and what sort of classes you are interested in taking on Friday.
  We realize that not everyone can take time off to attend Friday.  So we
would like to schedule according to your interests so the students can get
the most benefit.  Please contact Mistress Edwina or Sir Bryce for music.

 KNOWN WORLD MIDDLE EASTERN SCHEDULE

 FRIDAY JANUARY 31, 1997

 NO DEFINATE SCHEDULE UNTIL INSTRUCTORS INFORM US AS TO WHEN THEY CAN TEACH.
 HOWEVER, BEGINNING/INTERMEDIATE CLASSES WILL BE AVAILABLE ALL DAY IN DANCE.
 THE LIBRARY WILL BE SET UP AND AVAILABLE ALL DAY.  DUCHESS ILISSA COULD
TEACH HER THOB  OR GHAWAZEE CLASS ON FRIDAY.

 SATURDAY FEBRUARY 1, 1997

 LIBRARY WILL BE SET UP AND AVAILABLE ALL DAY.  ANY DISCUSSION OR LECTURE
CLASSES WILL TAKE PLACE IN THIS ROOM.  LADY BLODWEN WILL HAVE A COSTUME
DISCUSSION CLASS.  RESEARCH METHODA FOR DANCE RESEARCH IS ANOTHER CLASS.

 DRUM/MUSICIAN CLASSROOM AVAILABLE ALL DAY.  SIR BRYCE HAS THE SCHEDULE IN
PROGRESS.  SOME DANCE CLASSES MAY ALTERNATE IN THIS ROOM.

 10 TO 11 AM  BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE DANCE CLASS

 11 TO 12 PM  BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE DANCE CLASS

 12 TO 1 PM  LUNCH

 2 TO 3 PM  BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE DANCE CLASS

 4 TO 5 PM  BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE DANCE CLASS

 DANCE CLASSROOM - THIS SCHEDULE WILL CHANGE AS INSTRUCTORS TELL ME WHEN THEY
REALLY WANT TO TEACH.

 9 TO 10 AM.  WARMUP - ALL LEVELS

 10 TO 11 AM  MISTRESS ALETHA - ADVANCED TECHNIC

 11 TO 12 PM  TSHAYA - 9/8 CLASS

 12 TO 1 PM   LUNCH

 1 TO 2 PM   ACCENTS & PRESENTATION

 2 TO 3 PM  DUCHESS ILISSA - GHAWAZEE

 3 TO 4 PM  TSHAYA - ARABIC BASIC FOOTWORK

 4 TO 5 PM  MISTRESS ALETHA - ABDOMINALS