Why do some treat heralds so badly

lorraine stddly at SHSU.edu
Thu Feb 15 11:20:22 PST 1996

>>OKay, so the gist is:
>>
>>1. Some people are NOT morning people, and will be testy.  As I am a
>>morning person, I will allow that in my frame of mind, I cannot
>>understand that.  I repeat, in my frame of mind only.  I don't even
>>presume to speak for anyone else's frame of mind.
>
>In an effort to encourage understanding, Imagine if they came around at
>11pm-midnight, when many of us non-morning people are up and wouldn't mind
>it

The Heralds are doing a job - relaying infomation. They do this when it is
needed - the morning
and periodic times during the day. If advent administrators ran events that
were based on non-
morning entertainments things would be different. But the advent
administrators have only so
much time to schedule the activities seen as necessary to appease the
greatest portion of the
population so that future events will be attended enough to at least
breakeven on them and
so that their group retains a good reputation.

>>There's nothing to be done about this end of it, then, except that
>>emplying courtesy, whether you are or are not a morning person, is
>>the best and most courteous thing to do.
>
>Now if we could just convince the heralds of this.

Most heralds are as courteous as the situation/job will allow (as far as
camp heralding)

>>2. Someone, I forget who, wrote a message about the general ickyness
>>of quality of camp heralding.  If *that* is the case, then education
>>in proper vocal techniques, enunciation and pronunciation, and other
>>vocal abilities would be the answer.
>
>That would require heralds to be flexible enough to try to learn something,
>which would require they admit they don't know everything, which is an
>unlikely scenario.

The majority of camp-cryer heralds are people who were conscripted by either
the event
administrator or the local herald to help with information dispersal. Most
are not trained
and are doing it just enough to get done with the job. Heralds as a whole
are a lot more
flexible and willing to learn and willing to teach than you will ever give
them credit. As a
whole people who are voice heralds are willing to teach all who may ask to
be taught.
Techniques and such are easy to explain by example on the spot. Book
heraldry is
much easier taught with all the references where you can refer to them and
it is rather
unreasonable to ask book heralds to haul around their libraries all the time
just in case
someone might want look at such stuff at an event (though many book heralds
have set
up consulting tables at events and hauled around an edited version of their
libraries on many
occasions to help people get their names and devices through the system and
they have
remained largely unthanked and un-noticed by people like you).

>>As for me, my small household ( my lord husband and myself), we shall
>>keep on being polite to the heralds
>
>When are the heralds going to start to be polite?

Heralds are a lot more polite than you give them credit. For the most part
when they
are harried trying to help the administrator to make the event run smoothly
they do not
offer rejoinders to your and others snide, petty remarks and people who want
every one
to cater to their self interests who have no consideration of others.

>>Emher,
>
>-Michael

Lorraine
Who is a herald, has been a local herald, event administrator, and person
who is able
to see outside of my own little world and works at helping the people who do
the work
so others can treat events as perpetual vacations.