Ansteorran Rules Website Overhaul

Kerry Pratt kpratt at cyberstation.net
Wed Jul 31 19:25:30 PDT 1996

> What should we put on the net?
> People are putting lots of information on the Web including snail mail,etc...

  I agree this is a bad idea.  Everything from con artists to outright
thieves roam the net.  Personal phone numbers and addresses should be
avoided.

> I personally think we should not put locations of events we hold on the
> Web. It's okay for some place like Pennsic that has stricter security
> measures, but with some of the things that have happened here in
> Ansteorra and with our position precarious in a number of communities
> all it would take is one idiot who was convinced we were "evil" to
> persuade a land owner not to let us use their land.

  I am not so sure I agree with this one, though.  If it is a private
property, then by all means the land owner should be asked prior to any
form of advertising of location on the web.  I do think that this is an
ideal form of promoting the SCA to people who may be interested.  Site
fees should be clearly posted so that everyone realizes this is not a
free, come and browse, renfaire type of event.  Loaner garb could be
(and arguably should be) available for use by newbies.  As for the "evil
people", unfortunately they are around and won't be stopped if they want
to do something damaging.  Just my opinion, and as such darn near next
to worthless. ;)