Whine, whine, whine

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 22 17:00:52 PDT 1996

Greetings Cousins,

My but it's getting warm in here.  Perhaps we could turn down some of these
flames.  Take for example the title of the posting to which I respond:
"Whine, whine, whine."  Can anyone argue that this is not an intentional
insult?  Likewise, what are we to make of the following:

> hb> Although making 500 to
> hb> 1000 combat arrows is a differnt kind of fun, ask HL Gillie.
> hb> Especially when about 20% them will come back broken just in frount
> hb> of the fletching by a stick jopck stomping on it as he leave the
> hb> field, mad about being killed by a damned archer!!
>
>Awww...  Pity the poor archers.  Their arrows get broken and they have to make
>new ones.

Certainly this line of reasoning is already devaluative.  I don't see the
point of this sort of oversimplification.  The archer in question is making
a valid point and Baron Aodhan's following "analogies"--

>What about the scribe who slaves for hours and hours over a County scroll only
>to find out later that a drink was dumped on it and the scroll ruined before
>the Count even got it home?
>
>What about the seamstress who works for weeks sewing new costumes for Their
>Highnesses' Coronation and never sees them again beuause they're wadded up in a
>box in a pile of similar boxes in a regalia storage shed on the other end of
>the kingdom?

--do nothing to diminish the validity of the gentleman's argument.  He is
speaking of the norm--Baron Aodhan's "analogues," while certainly
frustrating in and of themselves, are exceptional.  These examples only
serve to belittle the man for feelings of frustration over clearly exampled
disrespect.  Hey, I'm a heavy fighter; I hate archers (in a battlefield
context :->), but I find the all too common occurence Mr. Billings reports
abhorrent.

Finally, I would like to thank Baron Aodhan for helping to make my point
concerning archers.  Y'all may recall that I argued in favor of an archery
award because the situation of archers is unique from that of other artists
and from other warriors.  As the good baron notes:

<snip>
>[Archery] *has* grown enough interest
>that archery only events are not uncommon.  I haven't seen any period
>encampments only, or costuming only, or weaving only events...

Yours in Service to a Flame-Free Kingdom

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis G. Grace
Postmodern Medievalist
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

Baro, metetz en guatge                    |  Lords, pawn your castles,
Chastels e vilas e ciutatz                |  your towns and cities.
Enanz qu'usquecs no'us guerreiatz         |  Before you're beat to the draw,
                                                    draw your swords.

                   -- Bertran de Born (a really fun Viscount)