A&S Judging: Mead Criteria / Packaging?

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Tue Oct 22 21:46:51 PDT 1996

Heilsa all Ansteorranfolk...!

Kief here... (Hey Mara....*smooches* you sweet thang...*big grin*!)

>Hey!
>
>I too would like to hear what the artisans have to say about this subject.
> As a Laurel (and yes I know not everyone agree's with me) I want to see some
>standards in place.  As to what these are, I don't know.  Let us know what
>your ideas are.  Not saying that they will be adopted or put in use.  But ya
>have to start somewhere.........
>This will probably stir up a big ol mess...............but oh well........
>
>Mara..........

Over the years I've competed in many A&S competitions, judged about as many,
researched tons-o-stuff, and viewed scads of items everywhere (whether the
items were on display or not.) My own personal view on "standards" is somewhat
simple.

1. If I like it...it's cool.
2. If it "looks" (sounds, tastes, etc.) period...it's cool.
3. If it has documentation, from simple to very complex...it's cool.
4. If it is well done, constructed, brewed, etc. and follows the
   documentation...it's cool.
5. If it utilizes period methods, materials, handwork, etc. that is contained
   in the documentaion...it's cool.
6. If the artisan/performer built the tools, machines...sheared the sheep,
   ground the pigments, made the brush...ad infinitum...AND documented the
   whole dang thang... Now THAT'S way cool!
7. If the object/performance is just a tiny part of the artisan's "body of
   work" and the "body of work" consists of them living a lifestyle that
   closely approximates an artisan that lived in "Period"... They are either a
   Laurel God/dess...and should be recognized immediately.......or committed.

So, there...a beginning standard for judges and other strange and unusual
beings that inhabit the vast reaches of our pun-y minds...

In Love and in Service to all... I remain...

Sir Kief av Kiersted, Baron Raven's Fort, Lion of Ansteorra...who's Wyrd is...

"Better the Hammer than the nail...."