A&S Judging: Mead Criteria / Packaging?

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Wed Oct 23 15:45:07 PDT 1996

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 MstrssMara at aol.com wrote:

> Hey!
>
> <Judging criteria is a topic that gets discussed frequently...in the
> <laurels circle and out of it, at A & S and Colleges.  There are no
> standardized <criteria yet for brewing (or any other discipline).  If you
> <have any suggestions...please e-mail them to me and we can discuss it!
> <If any other laurels are out there....PLEASE comment! >>
>
> I too would like to hear what the artisans have to say about this subject.
>  As a Laurel (and yes I know not everyone agree's with me) I want to see some
> standards in place.  As to what these are, I don't know.  Let us know what
> your ideas are.  Not saying that they will be adopted or put in use.  But ya
> have to start somewhere.........
> This will probably stir up a big ol mess...............but oh well........

The hard part is finding a way to compare apple wine and cloved oranges,
if I may slaughter an not old enough saying.  I would not want to choose
between Playchoya's beautifully crafted arrow (sorry for the assumption
that you do that if you don't) and Gunnora's superb clay beads.  This is,
of course, assuming all the documenting part is equal and the displayed
skill is equal.  Please forgive if the examples are bad, but I do hope
they got the point across.

Ideas?  Me?  not right now, no.  I just know my handwork couldn't compete
with the fabled strawberry mead (I *really* want to sample that! :) ).

Kateryn