apple presses

Mark Harris mark_harris at riscgate.sps.mot.com
Wed Oct 16 21:36:30 PDT 1996

Greetings,

Pug said:

>Hopefully this time next year I'll have a press to make my own ciders
>instead of having to buy it.

Are you going to be making or buying this press?

I can remember trying to use a blender to get the juice out of the
apples. I ended up having to add so much water to make this work at
all that what I got out was way too diluted.

I have considered a press in the past, but decided just to buy the
juice since I wouldn't use the press that much.

Is this press going to be a vertical screw type? Or some other?

The one disadvantage I can see to buying the fresh fruit and
juicing it is that you are buying prime, top of the line fruit for
this. It was my impression that both today and in period the
bruised or otherwise less than prime fruit ended up in juice unless
there was a surplus that you couldn't use any other way.

But perhaps the extra expense is not that much for what you are
getting in the way of no prservatives and natural yeasts.

Comments, anyone?

Stefan li Rous