Period Condoms (humour)

Mon Jul 21 06:06:41 PDT 1997

>> All this talk about condoms reminds me of a little ditty I once heard:
>
>>In days of old when knights were bold

I don't know about knights, but the Three Musketeers had condoms
available, which means they are period or just beyond period.  They were
made from very thin leather similar to parchment, stitched to the
appropriate size and shape, and the seam sealed with a small amount of
pitch or similar sealant.

You can occasionally find them as unlabeled oddities in European antique
shops.   In the British antique trade they're referred to as French
purses.