Reply to Galen: Condoms

PHYLLIS SPURR PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Mon Jul 21 13:07:56 PDT 1997

> Date sent:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:00:00 -0500
> From:           "Mitchell, Paul T" <MTCHPTAA at SMTPGATE.lmtas.lmco.com>

Pardon me while I delurk....

> Galen of Bristol here.

Eowyn ferch Rhys here.

<snip>

> To contradict Aquilanne, sex is not something that "happens".  It's
> not like sunburn or accidental injuries.  Sex is something that
> people decide to do.

Unfortunately sex is something that "happens"  quite frequently
without forethought at many of our events.  I am not saying that this
is a bad thing and I am not saying that this is a good thing.  I am
being totally non-judgmental.  But due to the excesses of many, sex
"happens".  I for one do not go to an event expecting to have sex.  I
go to an event to fellowship with others of like mind.  I do not
carry condoms with me, however, I try not to put myself in a
situation where I will regret my decision not to carry said objects.
I believe that I am mature enough to maintain this ideal.

<snip>
> I don't believe that the SCA's officers need to take responsibility
> to equip adults for non-SCA activities which they may choose to
> engage in at SCA events.

I agree with you Galen that SCA officers have enough to worry about
without taking on the added responsibility of worrying about the
health of our members.  However, as a Texas Department of Health
employee, I worry.  I have worried previously about the
indiscriminate sex happening at events.  I do not think we can change
peoples behaviours, but I, as a responsible employee of the Texas
Department of Health, can at least help by providing "equipment" and
education about this unsanctioned activity.

 <snip>
> If condoms must be distributed at SCA events, I suggest someone
> other than Chirurgeons should be the ones.  <snip> (This paragraph
has been an exercise in satire.) >

I don't believe that anyone one person should be the contact point
for condoms.  The following suggestion emanates from a co-worker here
at the Texas Department of Health:  Place a supply in the rest areas
(port-a-johns and restrooms).  I would like to supplement that idea
with pamphlets about STDs.

> Finally, much as been said to equate the use of a condom with
> being "responsible".  Given condom failure rates, and their unreliability
> in stopping the transmission of viruses (a virus is far smaller than
> the sperm a condom is designed to stop -- latex is a _porous_
> material), I am forced to question the assertion that a condom
> constitutes "protection".

However, Galen I must disagree with the above paragraph.  As an
employee of the Texas Department of Health, I cannot allow
misinformation that pervades our society as a whole to go unchecked.
This is not a slam against you Galen, your statements above are widely
believed.

Using a condom is responsible.  While condoms are not 100 percent
perfect, they are very effective in preventing HIV, other sexually
transmitted diseases, and pregnancy if they are used consistently and
correctly.

HIV is a virus.  Condoms are latex.  However, the pores in the latex
*are* too small for the virus to penetrate.

Condoms can prevent the spread of sexually transmitted disease.  If
used properly, the condom can provide excellent protection against
gonorrhea and NSU (non-specific urethritis), and good protection
against syphilis, herpes, and veneral warts.  The condom provides no
protection against pubic lice or scabies.

> I would encourage people who disapprove of unprotected
> promiscuous sex to show a little disapproval of it, rather than
> finding some way to assuage their conscience by making
> it "safe".

While I agree with everyone having the right to express their
opinions, I do not believe that anyone has the right to harrass
people who do not live up (or down) to their moral standards.  If
anyone has the right to harrass people for their morals, who next,
someone who dresses differently?

However much I dissapprove of unprotected promiscuous sex I will not
barrage someone with my opinion.  However, as a responsible friend I
might try some friendly counselling.  As a responsible employee of the
Texas Department of Health whose mission is to protect and promote
the health of Texas, I would offer condoms without a side order of my
personal feelings.

As an aside.  If anyone has questions that you would like to ask
about STDs, HIV, AIDs, condoms, or anything along that line.  I would
like to refer you to a professional who works in the STD/HIV
department with Texas Department of Health.  All messages and
conversations are held in the strictist of confidence.  You may e-
mail Valerie at vcarson at r03.tdh.state.tx.us

>  - Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA
> Central Regional Seneschal
> formerly Kingdom Seneschal