The Peerages...

SOC STUDIES camlewis at swbell.net
Mon Jun 2 20:19:27 PDT 1997

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> I totally agree with Mistress Aquilanne.  I have heard Laurels say that you
> shouldn't get an Iris unless you have two or more thistles.  Speaking as someone
> who is basically a "one trick pony" in the A&S field who has an Iris it's good to
> know that this isn't a majority opinion.
>
> Having a Mastery of several arts is an immense accomplishment and those talented
> people I honor greatly.  But I once heard the definition of a Laurel as someone
> who could make a living in their art in the Middle Ages.  I also greatly admire
> someone who is an undisputed Master of one subject.  I feel there should be no
> dispute amoung the qualities of A&S.

Being an Art teacher and artist I personally believe that everyone
should learn as much about EVERYTHING that they can...but we all know
the story of the Lord/Lady playing for ten years without an award,
simply because everyone thought they already had it.  There are many
individuals in the SCA who do many diverse arts and sciences very well,
but very FEW with more than one Thistle...I do like the part about a
Laurel being one who could make a living at their craft in a mideval
time though...Thanks

Bunny...ooops
ALREK KANIN