newcomers

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 16 07:37:16 PDT 1997

        Amy stated in her earlier letter that she had gone to several guild
meetings and been ignored.  I was wondering what guild meetings she had
tried to attend.  I recently received a message from someone using her same
mailserver and had sent a response to the query.  I sent a second response
Sunday afternoon.  To date, I have never heard whether the recipient had
received them or not. The person's name was Carol.  If this is one of the
complaints that she was ignored then maybe there is a problem with my mail
getting to her.  I was surprized to hear Amy say that she had been ignored
at guild meetings because I find that is the best way for me to make new
friends.  It's a smaller group and it's harder to get ignored.  I currently
attend two guilds and am responsible for two others. To the best of my
knowledge no one who comes to these meetings gets ignored.  I remember
vividly the fact that a a guild meeting on time, a new person came to the
meeting and after talking to us for awhile finally said how frustrated she
was about being excluded.  Because it was a smaller more informal group
people listened to her.  We didn't feel threatened that it was "our fault"
and she felt secure enough to express her frustrations.

        The statements that are currently be said are causing knee jerk
reactions and I feel will accomplish little in the end.  By broadcasting
how horrible and unfriendly people in Bryn Gwlad or where ever are an
immediate defensive position is assumed.  You are tense, the readers get
tense and nothing is done except people get to vent publically.

        Clarissa has offered a viable solution to solving the problem.
I plan on being there and I hope to see Amy, Gnith, and Aquilanne at the
meeting.

Clare St. John