Peers and students, my

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 29 21:12:41 PDT 1997

Greetings, Cosyns,

Lyonel aqui.

William E. Cole reacts and ponders:

>ROFL! Now I ask you, with what other group could someone's joke about
>hanging themself inspire comments on studing good rope making techniques
>and the quality of Middle Age executions?

You should see the Pynchon list.  The same question would not only raise
questions about the origins of rope but about variations on the noose, the
physics of proper hangings, and descriptions of the hanging scenes in
everything form _In Cold Blood_ to _Moll Flanders_.

Yours in pedantically unwarranted service,

Sir Lyonel
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin
English Department
Recovering Medievalist

"Oh God comma I abhor self-consciousness."  --JB