ANST - Educational view

Russell Kinder russmax at ns.cowboy.net
Mon Nov 10 08:05:07 PST 1997

There's a flaw in your logic, Karl. We don't have to exactly re-create
the middle ages, or any specific peroid within it, in order to be
educational. We just have to research and teach now and then.

I have a question for you. You give a long list of historical
inaccuracies in the way the SCA is played. But where did you learn that
these are inaccuracies? In your UNIX networking classes? No, we don't
play the middle ages the way they really were. But many of us do
extensive research on the way things *really* were, and then teach it.

In the end, the educational requirement for our non-profit status is
satisfied not by how we play the middle ages, but how we research and
teach about the middle ages. The other is just organizational structure
and social activities. The actual re-enactment doesn't have to have
anything to do with the research or teaching.

Besides, we admit up front that we are all pretending to be nobles, and
pretending that we have serfs and retainers.

Lord Guillaume de Troyes
owner-ansteorra at ansteorra.org wrote:

> I myself am having a harder and harder time believing that the SCA is an
> educational group.
[snip]