ANST - THE System (was: Systems was ECS )

Ghislaine Fontaneau/Elayne Hoover elyh at wcc.net
Wed Oct 15 00:18:23 PDT 1997

Ches wrote:

> Very interesting! New topic!
>
> What kind of theoretical system would you all come up with?
>
> What, if you could write one up, would you say is the system today vs.
> what it was 15 years ago?

Well, I wasn't here 15 years ago.  So I can't make any comments on that,
but I do have a few observations.

1. Our awards system is upside down.  Lords and Ladies are below
Knights.  In the true Middle Ages, knights were a dime a dozen...Lord
and Ladies kept lots of knights around for defense, etc.  Masters and
Mistresses were common craftsmen, not high-ranking nobles. Again, Lords
and Ladies were higher.

2.  Yes, kings should win by right of arms, but wouldn't it be more
authentic if that were based on their ability to lead an army instead of
single combat?

3.  Shires in England were geographical areas while Baronies were
holdings of a single noble.  Therefore our shires ought to be called
Towns, our regions out to be called Shires, and our baronies are
probably just fine.

4.  We do not do nearly enough actual research and authentic personna
play.  There is no real way to regulate that, but it's hard to call
myself a member of an educational organization when we have all of these
people running around in tunics and bluejeans.

5.  I think it would be fun to emphasise familial relationships more
often.  We cannot make titles hereditary.... but relatives are period,
guys!  Every SCAer is an individual, I realize this, but in period,
every nobleman was related to *somebody* so it seems like we in the SCA
should have more small households, etc.  Personnally, I have several
people with whom I claim SCA-kinship.  My personna has cousins and
brothers in the SCA, and our personnas are designed to make room for
each other.

Just a few thoughts....

Ghia
--