ANST - re: ANST- Ladies Chest Protection

Tim Lozos dentim at myriad.net
Wed Oct 29 06:47:52 PST 1997

Gud Mornin'

Let me start by saying that I'm one who belives that a person should be able
to wear what they feel
they need to be protected....

Gunnora said....

>Another serious risk is the little tab attached to the bottom of the
>sternum.  That tab angles inwards anyway, and a good hard blow can break it
>off, or drive it back into lungs or apparently even into the liver (though
>this is more of a motor vehicle accident problem).

Very true. The Zyphoid process (see above) is fragile enough to warrent our
consideration. I had a scare about 2 weeks ago when Sir Dieterich tipped me
right on it (with a marginal blow). It felt like I got shot. It took about 5
minutes to realize I was ok.
It's not required to protect your zyphoid or sternum, but I would suggest at
least thinking about it. Even a small flap of leather extending above your
kidney belt would help.  Thats what I'm doing to mine.

In the history of the SCA,  not one fatality has occured due to fighting.
If we all use our heads, hopefully we can keep that streak intact.

timo
darnedfashionablefeelprivaledgedtobealefty