ANST - Why A&S Gets Ignored

Heidi Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Mon Sep 8 16:57:12 PDT 1997

Why Gunnora, what an interesting challenge you've set forth.  I think I'll
take a stab at it (though I may be showing my hand, so to speak, should
this exact situation ever arise.)

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:
> Let's say, for example, M'lady Bright-eyed has laboriously sculpted a
> representation of the queen using cow manure as a medium. You know it's the
> queen only because she says it is on the label.  You look at this sculpture
> and see, well, a pile of cow dung, and in more ways than one.  Just
> starting from the top of the list, there is zero aethetic appeal as it is a
> shapeless blob, no utility (who wants a cow manure statue unless to
> fertilize their garden?), as far as I am aware no one in the Middle Ages
> used cow dung in this manner, and moreover the normal medium for scupture
> was clay for models which eventually were made in final version in stone or
> bronze.  In short, the horrified judge can find nothing good at all to say
> about this entry.

OK, how about:

1)  What an interesting use of a very period material!  Have you thought
about trying your hand at clay?

OK, there's one.  If we can come up with 3-4 more nice things to say, the
artisan can feel pleased with her effort, and, more importantly, not
ignored.

After that, one of two things will probably happen:  the *good* thing is
that, born up by attention, she tries her hand at other crafts and finds
an affinity and skill for one; or, the *bad* thing....she keeps making
dung sculptures.

Sigh.  I just don't want to go there anymore.  It makes my head hurt.

Mari