ANST - Order of the Pelican...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Sep 22 07:15:59 PDT 1997

Good Morning,

  This weekend I noticed something during court that was *very* shocking
  to me. I wonder if this is something unusual or signs of a serious
  problem.

  While at Raven's Fort, the Order of the Pelican was called into court
  in order to announce the upcoming peerages of two deserving
  individuals. The disturbing part for me was the fact that there was
  not a single member of the Order present in court. (I honestly couldn't
  tell you how many were at the event, but I know there was one there
  earlier in the day since they spoke for Dieter during his Knighting
  ceremony.)

  Can the Order of the Pelican be so small that at such an event, with
  the assumed preknowledge that there would be announcements, (I assume
  that the Order knew that Viscount Galen would be announced since his
  vigil is this coming weekend.) that none could be present for it? I
  honestly don't know how many members of the Order there are, nor how
  many are active, but this seems to be a truly sad state for our Society.

  Is the problem that they were all still working through court?

  Is the problem that there are so few members of the Order?
    If so, why? Lack of enough people doing the hard work? Lack of
    peerage qualities? Too high of standards for this Order and not the
    others? (The Knights and Laurels seem to number in the millions at
    times. *wink*)

  This is something that deeply disturbed me since the Order of the
  Pelican is the Order that shows others that the giving of service is
  truly something to enjoy. If the Order is dieing (which is what 0 in
  attendance at such announcements indicates to me), than the Society, at
  least in Ansteorra, is truly in trouble.

  I apologize if this is a little too drastic of a viewpoint, but it
  truly concerned and disconcerted me.

Ciao,