ANST - Houppelande documentation

Phyllis Spurr PSPURR at r03.tdh.state.tx.us
Tue Sep 30 12:23:39 PDT 1997

> Date sent:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:06:01 +0000
> From:           Scot Eddy <seddy at vvm.com>

> Greeting all,
>
> Jovian Skleros here. I'm trying to assist some of my shire members
> with documentation of clothing from the High Middle Ages (cotehardies,
> houppelandes, etc.) Paintings, illuminations, and block prints abound,
> so that is not a problem, but where do I find evidence for the
> patterns? Or can I? How can I prove that we are doing it acceptably
> close to what they did in the 1400s. Oh, we're using patterns from
> Period Patterns.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Grace and Peace,
>
> Jovian Skleros

Jovian, give Jeanmaire a call, she has all the dirt on houppelandes.
To check if your Period Patterns is close, look at the sleeves.  Is
the seam for a sleeve running down the back of the arm as opposed to
under the arm?  I could help you with houppelandes, but I find it
easier to draw a picture as I am explaining rather than just using
words.

Anyway, Jeanmaire has all the documentation for houppelandes, which
sounds like what you want anyways.

By the way, if I didn't thank you properly over the weekend.  Thanks
for helping with my Laureling ceremony.  People said it sounded
wonderful.  I wouldn't know, I do not believe I heard a thing said
past them calling me into court.

Thanks again for the wonderful job!

Phyllis L. Spurr
Eowyn ferch Rhys Cyfurth