ANST - Dry sites will annoy the chemically dependent

BSilveraxe BSilveraxe at aol.com
Thu Apr 30 12:40:17 PDT 1998

> Johan stated:
> The banning of alcohol at events is being driven by the site owners,
> YMCA and Boy Scouts, who are in the back pocket of the Christian
> right!

This is an incredibly broad statement to make and one that I feel is very
wrong and unfair to these site owners. Our most commonly used sites in the
Northern Region are Camp Cimarron, Camp Dakani (both Camp Fire sites) and the
Will Rogers Boy Scout Camp.

Anyone who attends events at these sites knows that they are seldom "dry"
events.  Limitations on alcohol use at these events have always come from the
SCA groups  themselves.  These sites have tolerated more than their share of
alcohol related problems when it comes to SCA groups using their sites.
Possibly the most serious problem for the site itself has been the leaving of
alcoholic beverage containers on site - and not just around the trash area.
Containers are left in the woods, on back paths and in the cabins to be found
later by non-SCA children who camp there after us.  These sites have been
amazingly tolerant, however.  Rather than banning the use of alcohol at our
events, they have simply trusted us to solve these problems next time.  They
are *not* reactionary, nor are they influenced by any Christian conspiracy.
They do not attempt to impose their own moral codes on us or our activities
(something perfectly within their rights as site owners).

> Being Christian organizations, they have deep pockets and steady revenue
> sources...they can afford to buy the campsites and thus impose their
> will upon groups such as ours.

Again, I have to say that such will has not been imposed on the groups I've
had dealings with.  Its a fact that if these site owners didn't need our money
they simply wouldn't rent their sites to us.  There is absolutely no other
reason for them to risk their beautiful sites and deal with some of the
problems the SCA has created for them.  Given some of the problems they've had
to deal with as a result of alcohol use and abuse on their sites, I wouldn't
blame them in the least if they were to impose stricter rules on the SCA.

> Its plain and simple, we need to get out from under their influence.

If Northkeep, Wiesenfeuer, Namron and Mooneschadowe (who use Camp Fire & Boy
Scout campsites almost exclusively) were to get on their soapbox and insist
that they would no longer use these sites, they would be very hard pressed to
find comparable (or even acceptable) sites to use.  These groups actually work
hard to promote good relations with the site owners and can be proud of the
relationship we share with these other 501(c)3 organizations.

As to brewing/vintning competitions not being allowed at dry sites, I haven't
run into this problem either.  Most autocrats will make an exception (if it is
within their power) for a small sample of someone's work to be entered in an
A&S competition.  Even if this was not the case, the majority of our sites are
not dry, thus it is not a problem.  I'd hate to think what would happen if
folks refused to come to events where they couldn't compete in their chosen
art.  The equestrian community would be limited to a handful of events per
year.  Archers would be hard pressed to find something to go to on a regular
basis as well, etc....

HRH Kat

(All opinions given above are strictly my own and are not (necessarily) those
of my husband, my employer, my steward, my barony, my household, my retainers,
my mom or my cat).