ANST - Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Jan 12 17:56:12 PST 1998

First, as to the volume: yes the noise was loud.  It was hard to hear from
the first row, and impossible beond the fifth.  Yes, people were talking,
but no worse than at other events.  The biggest problem is that the
acoustics in that hall are terrible.

For instance, I have heard that there was out and out screaming shouting
and general loudness in more than one meeting upstairs on the balcony --
but most people don't know that, since Sokol Hall is the biggest dead space
I've ever been in for sound.  The hall itself was constructed with the idea
of electronic amplification.  Not even Pendaren's lovely carrying vocal
heraldry could reach the back of the hall, even when everyone was quiet.

Next, ZaraZena, watch out!  You keep coming up with all these good ideas,
doing as much service as you do, and all the arts you create, and darn if
you won't be in one of these everlasting Circles and meetings yourself.

There are a couple of ideas that we're working on to keep meetings from
consuming our playtime.  The Laurels and Pelicans have set up email lists
to allow some discussion outside normal SCA hours -- but only maybe 1 third
of the peers in each group even have email, much less are on the lists.

This summer, the Laurels plan to have a retreat that will serve as a
working weekend.  We're going to find a hotel somewhere and congregate,
working hopefully towards standards for A&S, better judging procedure and
training of judges, and certainly other issues as well -- perhaps how to
ensure that we can select Gulf Wars artisans way sooner than we were able
to this year.  We plan to do it in mundanes, and party in the hot tub and
lounge in the evenings after putting in a good day's work.  Of course,
again, this only works as well as the folks who attend -- if you do not get
but a small percentage of the peerage Circle in question at a work weekend,
then you cannot get as much accomplished.

I felt that 12th Night was much more like Coronation -- a non-stop round of
work and meetings.  I want 12th Night to be the time I see and socialize
with friends who I haven't seen in a couple of months due to the holidays.
I want to eat good food, listen to good music (thanks, Branwyn, for the
safety tamborine!), enjoy good company.  Hopefully we won't be stuck with
situations in the future that require the meeting schedule we had this time
(I hope and pray!)  And work weekends, work events, and the like are one
way to achieve that.

Thanks for the thoughts, O Baroness of Elfsea!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)