ANST - Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Thu Jan 15 09:06:53 PST 1998

<<Gunnora wrote>>

First, as to the volume: yes the noise was loud.  It was hard to hear
from
the first row, and impossible beond the fifth.  Yes, people were
talking,
but no worse than at other events.  The biggest problem is that the
acoustics in that hall are terrible.

I disagree: during court, I could plainly see that the back part of
the hall was carrying on as though
there was no court. People seemed to be enjoined in full blown
conversations and visiting, not the average making comments here and
there during court. Sir Deitrich was supposed to be echoing me but
gave up because he said that the people in the back didn't care about
court.

For instance, I have heard that there was out and out screaming
shouting
and general loudness in more than one meeting upstairs on the balcony
--
but most people don't know that, since Sokol Hall is the biggest dead
space

While I agree that the acoustics of the hall were terrible, my voice
could reach to the back when people were quiet. I know this as when I
opened court, people got quiet and I could here my voice echoing off
of the back wall. Now, I couldn't keep that volume at that high level
for too long. As it was, I was coming down with an upper respiratory
illness and my voice began to give out anyway. (And thank you,
Gunnorra, for the very kind compliment.)

I realize that everyone is going to be enthralled with the goings on
of court, but this past Twelfth Night went a bit too far with crowd
noise. I truly felt that people got a bit rude and I know that Their
Majesties felt the same way as They asked me to call for quiet. I know
that people will read this and say that they couldn't hear and that
they got bored. While I understand this, I still must point out that
courtesy is one of the cornerstones of the Society along with chivalry
and honor.

-Pendaran