ANST - Webs and Chronicles and Cash

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 22 08:03:52 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

>> > Since paid and non-paid advertisements are not allowed, direct
links to
>> > merchants, companies, etc., are not permitted. A careful inspection
of
>> > websites requested to be linked up should be made to help ensure
that
>> > they are not a merchant nor attempting to avoid this limitation in
any
>> > manner.
>> If nothing changes hands, I don't see a problem with these links. But
>> don't have to manage this bearucracy or justify things to the same
>> bearucracy. I don't see a link as an advertisement, unpaid or
otherwise.

--Pug posted:

>The problem is the definition of what a non-paid advertisement is. If
>you link to an armor merchant, are you endorsing and advertising for
>them? This unfortunately has been a very grey area that the Kingdom
>Chronicler's office has choose to avoid to date.

I agree that this is a problem with "unpaid" advertising.  I don't think
it's a problem with "paid" ads.  If you link to a paid advertiser and
include a disclaimer to the effect that, "Advertisements are paid and
should not be construed as endorsements";then, hey, what's the problem?
The only problem I see is the financial consideration, and if the
Virtual Scribe is careful to retain receipts and record them on his tax
forms, I see *no* problems.

>Btw, because of sites like Geocities, there are certain advertisements
>(those automatically done by your ISP) that are allowed by the
>Corporation.

Now *those* ads I object to.  Incidentally, some of those free sites
(Angelfire and Geocities) allow you to disable the automatic ads.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, Capitan
Bryn Gwlad
Ansteorra