ANST - re: Nobility

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Thu Jun 11 22:35:12 PDT 1998

<"Laury Torrence" <J-LTorrence at worldnet.att.net>>
>>   I have no opinion that I care to share at this time, since for me to do
>>   so would likely just piss people off.
>WELL!!  That was an awful lot of opinion from someone who hasn't been
>in those (Territorial or CB's) shoes!...

Thank you, your Excellency for illustrating my points so sucinctly.

>...Especially when one doesn't seem to understand the thought provoking
>nature of the questions Pug has posed to us...

I beleve I understood them.  I just chose to answer them honestly
and admit that I didn't know the answer.  It *is* possible to understand
a question without having an answer to it.

>...But it sounds as though Diarmaid has been living in a political hot-bed
>(either for too long, or is seriously masocistic) that may have chewed him up
>and spit him out!!

If you say so.

>I don't think silence is the necessarily the reaction most
>"politicos" endorse.  Nay, they are usually the biggest mouths out there!!

It's my experience that the biggest "mouths" are the ones who like being
disagreed with the least.  Perhaps your experience differs.

>I think it would be useful to everyone to read HRH Kat's commentary again.
>She made intelligent, cohesive statements, that tend to reflect what most of
>us (I firmly believe) feel about how it works out there in practice, if not in theory.

Suggesting that there is nothing more to be said on the topic.

I'm going to combine your later comments here as well.  If you feel that
removes them from their correct context, I apologize.

>Diarmaid wrote:
>> Ah, I see.  Actually, "Politics", when it is done correctly, is a
>> marvelous, wonderful thing, not unlike dining on Pufferfish (or so I
>> am told).  In the hands of most social groups, and I include the SCA
>> in that, it is far too often something best left wisely on your plate.
>Touche'!  Oh good boy!!

Thank you for your, um, "compliments".

>They didn't eat you alive after all!! It's a wonderful thing to have
>such an adroit understanding of "politics" in general.  And even more
>wonderful to have the proper sense of perspective.  "The way things are"
>is one of the most over-used phrases, but as with many things, tends to apply
>to how things get done in our Society.  If more of us thought about the consequences
>of our actions BEFORE we did them, there might be a lot more folks walking
>around the SCA without chips on their shoulders (other than the ones they brought
>with them to begin with). A little pessimism/cynicism can go a long way,
>and can be used to bring about change, if applied properly...

I agree.  It would be nice if more people thought before they acted.
But they don't.  This is an unfortunate truism.  Moreover, it would
be helpful if people thought out what they were going to say, and
had some clue as to what it sounded like to others before they opened
their mouths, or put their hands to their keyboards.  But again,
they don't.  That's the way it is.

Marc/Diarmaid
lib_imc at centum.utulsa.edu