ANST - ANST: Doing a Demo

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Mar 30 11:29:05 PST 1998

The Great Grey Skwid wrote:

> I posted this both here and to the Rialto, so my apologies to those who
> read both for the excess bandwidth
>
> Several of my friends and myself have recently formed a student
> organization at our university with the goal of fostering interest in, for
> lack of a better term, pre-industrial times.  The group is not focussed on
> any organization and has members from several (ie. SCA, Amtgard, as well
> as general interest folks).
>
> As something which our group might sponsor to raise interest I proposed an
> SCA demo.  This idea was very well recieved, but in truth I know nothing
> of hosting such a demo, and there are issues WRT insurance in case of
> injury to participants (the event would be most likely to be held
> on-campus).
>
> Anyone who has participated in such a demo, and especially those who
> helped to plan one, I would appreciate any useful information which might
> help me.
>
> I am also particularly interested in references to any demos _ever_ held
> on a UT campus.
>
> My thanks,
>
> |   |   |\ | | | ) Theudegisklos "Skwid" Sweinbrothar of the order

I've been involved in demos on the UT-Arlington campus when I was there,
and since.  I've been involved in many demos in many places.  Insurance
is usually a matter of what the site-owner requires.  Check with your
school's student activities office.  If this is a function of a
registered
student organization, it shouldn't be an issue.  SCA fighters sign
waivers
of liability.  If insurance is needed above what's available on campus
(since the State of Texas owns the UT-Dallas campus, I doubt it's
needed at all), check with your local seneschal; Lady Averial will
know what's needful.

Definitely touch base with your local seneschal and hospitaller
anyway, and maybe even the regional hospitaller, Lady Mara.  Let me
know when it is, and if I can, I'll come over and help out.

- Galen of Bristol, Viscount, KSCA, Pel.
Barony of Elfsea