ANST - ANST-Alcohol Traditions

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Sat May 2 09:05:45 PDT 1998

On  2 May 98 at 0:03, Carl Chipman wrote:

> A brewing friend of mine was telling me a little bout mongol
> customs, where the first round (batch?) of mare's milk was taken and
> put in a goat (?) skin and hung by the door of the yurt.  As the
> members of the yurt walked in and out they would whack the goat skin
> and it would help ferment the milk into a drinkable (? taking this
> on their word :-)  ) alcoholic beverage.

ahhh, then i take it you've never had kumis ... it's, shall we say,
"interesting".  having sampled it in the past (always try something
at least once) i'll politely decline and pop open a guiness if i want
something to drink and have the option of choice.

though the fermentation process sound suspiciously like a very old
suggested  ansteorran party game - "mongol in the bag" (you would
have had to have been there about Steppes Warlord I and the stories
that arouse from certain incidents to understand .... grin)

'wolf

... carpe ichthae