ANST - Re: The Tao of Group Reading (1)

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 8 06:49:42 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

How did this discussino get on this list?

Oh well, in response to my--

Caladin writes:

>I thought any activity which kept your respiration/heart beat elevated for
15+
>min. was increasing your daily caloric comsumption and increasing your
>arobic health?
>
>izzat wrong?

Well, that depends.  If you're just trying to occasionally boost your
heartrate enough to prevent arthrosclerosis, it may be enough.  If,
however, you're trying to burn fat--which Clinton says is his goal--then
the 15 minutes has to be at a heartrate somewhere between 60 and 80 percent
of your maximum safe heartrate (which equals about 220 minus your age).
Otherwise, you're just burning carbs stored in your muscles and liver (they
hold approximately 500 to 800 calories, if I remember correctly), which
your body will replenish at your next meal.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin