ANST - This forum...

Kateryn Heathrydge heatherford.manor at juno.com
Tue May 26 09:33:29 PDT 1998

On Fri, 22 May 1998 17:48:26 EDT RLPortwood <RLPortwood at aol.com> writes:

>Yes, I believe we are using this in a positive light because it shows
>that we
>care about the honor and chivalry that this organization was based on.
> It
>shows that there are people out there who don't want to sweep this
>stuff under
>the carpet anymore.  It shows that we want our organization to be a
>safe
>family group where we can go and play and get away from the negativity
>that
>surrounds us every day.

I really do understand the concerns here.  I was sexually molested as a
child.
During my stint at the university (shall remian nameless), the
institution's idea of maintaining female saftey was to scare us into
agoriphobia (probably unintentional, but the effect was still the same).
I work in the public school system, and see the daily precautions in
place to ensure no harm to the children.  I know from whence I speak.

We know the world isn't safe.  We are saddened that the SCA isn't safe as
we once thought it was.  This leaves us with two choices:

1. Paranoia.  Anywhere from wondering about the people around us to being
so distrubed about it that we do not leave the home.

2. Take reasonable percautions, accept that the danger is there, then go
forth with a firm step and raised chin, and deal with it as it comes.

I have observed that 99% of the time the SCA takes care of its own.  I
have been dropped a few discreet warings, and been gotten out of a bad
siuation in the Society.

Should we know about potential harm?  Yes.  It is, however, a very
slippery slope from number two to number one, and I will be very sad
indeed if that happened here.

Kateryn Heathrydge
Three Rivers, Calontir
heatherford.manor at juno.com
Covert Operative in Evil Grimfellian Plot to Overthrow Three Rivers...