No subject

durr al-jabal al-mukhfi durr.al-jabal at iname.com
Tue Oct 27 18:37:09 PST 1998

Ahlan wa sahlan!

Please accept the following text of our event announcment.  I believe it
fullfils all the requirements...  You may edit for size and space.  Even if
you don't, please include a reference to the event web site at
http://www.lazerlink.com/~dwarph/al-hafla.html

Thank you for your support!

salaam, durr

     al-hafla! A Party in Palestine! An Occasion in Outremere!

Salaam alikuum!

The year is 1199 (CE). The holy month of Rammadan is over, Lent has not yet
begun, Crusaders are still recovering from 12th Night, and the Hajiis have
not started their treks... everybody's ready for a Pennsic-fix! Let there
be fellowship and sharing, let there be music and dance!

What is this event about?

Have all the fun you want; we'll make more! - Fadiilah

Good question. Let me explain... al-hafla is Arabic for "The Party," a
festive occasion, a social gathering... Now the Shire of Nithgaard has
agreed to host the first Known Worlde "hafla" for the populus.

For seven years now, each hafla has been a time for sharing companionship
and knowledge. "Come play with us!"  From these, the Orluk Oasis was
created (the one you see at Pennsic).  This event is a continuation of the
Orluk Oasis evening haflas at Pennsic War, as well as the daily mulin (the
place to go ask questions.) It follows the two basic rules of hospitality:

  The host will provide food and comforts for the guests
  The guests will be entertaining (sharing knowledge counts as entertaining!)

(Please bring your cushions for seating and decorations for the hall. )

For those who might be looking for an event with a Northern European
flavor, this is not the event you are looking for. There are no marshall
activities. There will not be English Country Dance performed.  Nor will
this event be: a mundane bellydance seminar and show; a formal university;
or professional performance venue.

(This is a Royal Progress event. Maliik wa Maliikah (King and Queen), Amir
wa Amirah (Prince and Princess)
al-somethingorotheruntilIgettheproperArabicwordforit are planing on
attending,  Court will be held in the style of the diwan throughout the
day. )

Menu

Hengist Gromhydig the Saxon (a big winner with his dishes at Ice Dragon!)
will supervise the work of the kitchen. A suitable mix of meat and meatless
dishes will be served.  (Minor changes may occur to the menu as needed.)

There will be a meze table during the day. This is appetizers and snacks of
middle-eastern origin to tide you over till the feast (and for snacking
after the feast.)

**MEZE**
bessara (fava puree); khubz (breads); falafel (chickpea briquets); hummuuz
(chickpea puree); wara einab (dolmas or stuffed grape leaves); makhalal
(pickles); dates ; burtuu'an salat (orange salad) ; labna (yogurt
cheeseballs) ; malfuf salat (cabbage salad)

**FEAST**
khefta (arabic meatballs) ; dajaj (moroccan chicken); roz (pilaf); cous
cous ; basal (carmelized onions) ; la adiss har (spiced lentils) ; salada
baiba alchin wa'l gharghaa (beet, orange, walnut and spinach salat); kubz
(breads) ; apricots and almonds; nougat (candy)

Copious ghalwa (coffee), chay (teas), and sakanjabin (sweet chilled teas)
to slake your thirst.

Bring cushions, as the feast will be served at floor level (in one course.)
Troupes who wish to perform will have opportunity to display their talents
during feast. A coordinator will be designated.

Classes and Teachers

       "al-Hakim, son of 'Aziz established his library at Cairo in 395/1004
attached to the Hall of learning (Daru'l 'Ilm or Daru'l Hikmah) which
imparted free education and supported teachers, scholars and students with
endowments."

It is earnestly hoped that those with knowledge, and those with questions
of things Arabic, Andalusian, and Middle-Eastern will find each other in
the mulin (symposia and discussions) at al-hafla. Facilitators for these
groups should contact the Host.

"It was a custom of the pious to endow schools and libraries"
 Mistress Seabhac has suggested bringing your books and documents to share
in a library at the event. Comemerative book-plates will be available to
mark your texts, and Mistress Philippia is trying to obatain a copier for
the event so you can collect that much needed documentation.

Separate Childrens-activities are not planned, as most of the activities
can be of interest across the span of ages. However, a seraglio will be
provided for a quiet space.

Merchants

Merchants are permitted. However, space limitations will require that
preference be juried according to (1) reservations and (2) wares. Please
contact the Host for arrangements.

Directions, Accomodations and Crash Space

Directions:

  Take your best routes to any of the major cities or routes given below.
    From I-80: * Exit 24 to PA 26 South. PA 26 South to PA 550 South.**PA
550 South for 1/2 mile, and turn left at second left after High School (on
left.) Turn right, and turn left. Go straight 100 yards. You are there.
    From Harrisburg: US 322 West to PA 26 North (use the US 322 bypass when
you get to State College.)   *** PA 26 North to PA 550 South. Follow **
above.
    From Bedford PA: **** I-99 North to US 322 East. US 322 East to PA 26
North. Follow from *** above
    From Pittsburgh: US 22 East to I-99 North. Follow from **** above.
    From Buffalo/Fort Erie: I-90 South to US 219 South. US 219 South (get
gas in Antonio's in Salamanca!) to PA 255 South (in Johnsonburg). PA 255
South to PA 153 East (in Pennfield). PA 153 East to I-80 East. I-80 East to
Exit 24, and follow from * above.

Accomodations

The following are within 5 miles of the site:
  Bush House 315 W. High St Bellefonte PA 16823. 11 rooms, with (German)
resturaunt and bar. 814-355-8400  suggest reserving the whole block of
rooms for a large party.
  Colony Motor Lodge 476 Benner Pike Bellefonte PA 16823. Motel with block
of rooms being held under the party name of "Al Hafla" for $35 plus tax.
814-355-5561
  Holiday Inn, Milesburg I-80 (Exit 23) at US 220. Reserve through your
local Holiday Inn. (Trying to get a party rate)
  Bestway I-80 (Exit 23) at US 220. 814-355-7535 (Trying to get a party rate)

Crash Space

This will be at a premium. Please contact Jochen Blitzkopf (814-237-0721),
who is pleased to help you with this.

Official Stuff:

Official Name: al-hafla (Party in Palestine) sponsored by the Shire of
Nithgaard.

Location: Faith United Methodist Church, 512 Huges St., Bellefonte PA 16823
     The site is ADA compliant (handicap accessable)
     The site is bone-dry (no alchohol allowed on the premesis.)
     The site is Smoke-Free (a smoking area will be designated)

Tolls:
   As there is a meze table, there will not be an out-board rate.
    Fees:

      Postmarked before 17 January, 1999:
         Adult Feast - $15 USD
         Adult Offboard (includes meze table) - $8 USD
         Youth on- and off-board (Ages 10 to 17) - $8 USD
         Children and babes are free.
      Postmarked after 16 January, 1999:
         Adult Feast - $20 USD
         Adult Offboard (includes meze table) - $12 USD
         Youth, on- and off-board (Ages 10 to 17) - $10 USD
         Children and babes are free.
    Made to "SCA Inc. - Shire of Nithgaard", and sent to
        165 Fishburn Hill Road
         Bellefonte PA 16823

Host (Autocrat): Baron Dur/durr al-jabal aka D. Edward Walter
<durr at lazerlink.com> (814) 355-8928

Activities: If you have to ask...(Information will be made available as it
is collected.)

  Throughout the day, there will be:
    Line Dancing (Saydatii Kamiila, Judita, and Denys are confering on this.
    Music (Perhaps Azzah and Sadika will continue the slow-jam work started
at Pennsic.
    Dancing (you have got to be kidding!)
    Storytelling (Perhaps Chengir abu ben Said will find abu Hassan's shoes?)
    Various seminars and symposia (conversations) on topics (customs,
clothing, cooking, traditions, history, etc.)

Date and Start-Stop times: 30 January, 1999. Event site to open at noon,
and close at 10 PM

http://www.lazerlink.com/~dwarph/al-hafla.html

end
durr al-jabal al-mukhfi           mailto:durr.al-jabal at iname.com
<Baron Dur of Hidden Mountain>                    Member # 02933
al-musta'rib and Orluk Oasis Newsletter:
              http://www.lazerlink.com/~dwarph/al-musta'rib.html